Monday, October 24, 2022

The Dry, Dry Pony Goes Droll-Droll-Drollin' Along

The Pony has never been much of a talker. No idle gossip, no jumping into conversations. He usually had his nose in a book all through school, or later in his Kindle. He was generally aware of what was going on around him, but didn't feel the need to participate. Of course the teachers appreciated him! By the time he was in 10th grade, and in the biology class of my Arch Nemesis, he had acquired a reputation.

"The Pony cracks me up. He doesn't say much, but when he does, it's hilarious. He has such a droll sense of humor." 

Yeah. Every now and then he'd pop off with something, catching you unawares with his dry delivery.

Sunday was The Pony's day off work. I took him some vegetables that I'd cooked in a roast. Yes, I also offered him some roast, but he only wanted the vegetables. He came out to T-Hoe in his driveway that Hick made behind Pony House, and wrote me a check for his share of the insurance on our new flip house(s).

I had picked up a scratcher for him. Just because. He won $10 on it. As he was putting down the window to scrape the scratchings off outside the car, he caught his arm in it.

"Ow! That pinched!"

No. I did not make fun of him for that. I'm the one who used to open up the console to get something out, and then slam it down on my hip fat.

The Pony had a bit of trouble getting out of T-Hoe. The door was locked, and he shot me a look like I was trying to trap him.

"Oh. I forgot that when I was scraping off my ticket, my arm hit to door lock and pushed it down. Duh."

Once standing outside and saying bye, The Pony added:

"Try to stay away from this door. It has tasted arm fat."

Okay. That cracked me up. You really had to be there.

8 comments:

  1. Out of the mouths of our babes, right? Our youngest the 4 year old is like a comedian. He was leaning over my lap in the bathroom so I could take care of his business, and she said, "OH no, Nana, you have old man legs!" One of these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, heh! "Old man legs!" That made me snort.

      Delete
    2. I figured that's what you meant. No need to kick yourself with your OLD MAN LEGS! Everybody mis-types.

      Delete
  2. That cracked me up without me being there. it's the sort of thing my kids used to come out with, having learned from their dad's side of the family, my side weren't big jokers although mum knew a few that would make your hair curl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad's side were the jokers, too. In fact, my mom used to say, "You're just like your dad!" Though sometimes it was NOT because I gave her a laugh...

      Delete
  3. Well your funny bone is, after all in your arm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. And it's not funny at all when you pinch it!

      Delete