Monday, January 22, 2024

Two Crises, Narrowly Avoided

Val is living on borrowed time! She could have perished, twice, in the last couple of days! Yes, I have a tendency to wax overly-dramatic. But this is serious. I could have died!

Friday, I came out of the Gas Station Chicken Store and walked to my rightful parking space, the handicapped spot. I clicked T-Hoe's clicker to unlock the door. Pulled on that flip-up door handle, and was almost catapulted backward onto the blacktop pavement! You know how it is. You brace yourself for the motion, pulling open the door. But my hand slipped off the door handle as I pulled on it. That sent me rocking onto my heels. Heels which do not react in a timely manner. Heels stuck on the pavement, unable to take a step back and regain balance. 

I thought I was a goner! Falling back, lying on the pavement in the 18-degree weather, with the below-zero wind chill. Just lying there, my body heat dissipating into the blacktop, unable to right myself, while an occasional customer might not notice, nor want to get involved. And even if they DID want to help, it would have taken a team of paramedics to right my ample rumpus. Who knows the response time on such a frigid day.

Thankfully, I threw myself forward with a hand on T-Hoe, and didn't topple backwards. I tried again, got the door open, and hauled myself inside. My heart was pounding, thinking about what could have happened.

But wait! The Universe was obviously set on killing off Val this week. Because the very next day, I almost froze to death before leaving home. You know how you get your routine? Same thing every day. I grab my purse off the kitchen table. Pick up my banana peel from breakfast/lunch. Loop my metal water bottle over my right index finger. Hold the Jack and Scarlett treats of stale bread with my finger and thumb while tossing the banana peel off the back porch with my left hand.

Well. My routine was disrupted by the extreme cold, and the additional step of picking up my gloves. I had stuffed them down my shirt, so my body heat would warm them on my way to the garage. I'd turned the little button on the doorknob that locks the door. I started out, but something felt wrong. My right arm was not heavy enough.

OH! My purse was not on it! I was thisclose to slamming the door, which would have been locked. And my purse would have still been inside on the kitchen table, holding my keys, and my cell phone. I'd have been locked out in the teenish temperatures, no way to call Hick, no way to warm myself while waiting for a rescue. I suppose I would have needed to walk "next door" and see if our neighbor was home to call Hick. That would have taken about 20 minutes, in the frigid temperatures. Thank goodness I notice my missing purse before closing that door!

This is no temperature for old women.

14 comments:

  1. I have done the same move as with the door latch on the vehicle. It does take firemen to pick me up.
    I locked myself out of my house so many times with my menopause brain in charge, that I bought one of those things realtors use to leave a key, the kind you just punch in a code. It saved me from having a neighbor or locksmith let me in two or three times a week. Before that, I had a lock that had to be locked from the outside with a key. That would have been a treacherous walk for you.
    Practical Parsimony

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last time I fell, tripping over a throw rug on the tile basement floor, I was able to army-crawl to the couch and get myself up. That was a forward fall. I figure I would have whacked my head by falling backward, and may or may not have been conscious. Not sure if I could have rolled over to use T-Hoe's tire for leverage in getting up. Probably not! It's no couch, and I wasn't wearing my gloves, so no feeling in my hands after a few seconds.

      I locked myself out one other time, but it was a summer evening, and the neighbor was working on his truck. I hollered through the barbed wire fence between revvings of his engine, and he sent his wife over on the 4-wheeler with her phone, so I could call Hick. I just sat on the porch to wait, since the weather was fine.

      Delete
  2. Your guardian angel must have been sitting on your shoulder! Probably your mom, altho a ladybug this time of year would not appear. Thank your mom and go on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone was definitely looking out for me! The Pony has hogged all the ladybugs, but I'm pretty sure even he hasn't seen one in the last two weeks.

      It's something my mom would have been concerned about. She ALWAYS told me to call her when I was back home and in the house. No matter what the weather, or where I'd been.

      Delete
  3. We have a garage for our car and one of those little key fobs that starts it. So we can't lock outselves out. Plus I have a house key attached to the key fob in case the battery fails in it after I'm outside with the garage door down. Life gets so complicated these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a garage for my car, too. It is not heated, and does nothing to prevent me from locking myself out. The Pony has one of those fobs for his Nissan Rogue. I just have a plain key and a clicker for locking and unlocking. Which does me no good if it's in my purse that is locked in the house.

      Delete
  4. Maybe it's time to write a check list and stick it beside the door so you see it and check that you have everything. I don't like thinking of you out there in the freezing cold thinking about your purse locked inside the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That might be good, unless I forgot to check the checklist! I usually remember my purse, because my winning scratchers are in it, and I have plans to cash them in.

      Delete
  5. As a professional person-who-falls, I appreciated your quick thinking. Man. Glad that you are okay. Cold, so cold!! Be careful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that I'm just an amateur person-who-falls!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. We actually have one. Sadly, it goes to the old locks that Hick switched out a few years ago. One time I had to send Genius to fetch it. He was NOT happy, being a fastidious sort who did not enjoy crawling under the porch. A new hiding place and new key are in order, now that I don't have my little helpers.

      Delete
  7. That's why I always do the pocket slap check...back wallet check, front left phone check, right nothing?? damn phone have to go back.

    Like they say on Hill Street Blues "Be careful out there!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I THINK I'm being careful, but I had another close call yesterday in the garage.

      Delete