Saturday, January 6, 2024

The Pony Straps On a Spicy Feedbag

The Pony was never really off his feed during his recent sickness. Only that one evening when he first returned to work, and was exhausted and dehydrated when he got home. Thursday was a better day. The Pony even felt like shopping for supper ingredients, rather than ordering out. I had mentioned that we were having chicken burritos, which gave The Pony an appetite for same.


The Pony likes some spice in his chicken. Not us! I just microwaved some frozen chicken chunks like those The Pony is simmering with flavor.


The Pony always adds black beans. There might also be a rice mixture there. We sometimes have refried beans, but Hick didn't want them this time. Yes, we DID have shredded cheddar, same as The Pony. He and Hick have an odd way of folding their burrito. You can see a completed one behind this one in progress. I just fold over the bottom, roll mine like a tube, and wrap it in foil, which I peel off as I eat it. I don't like the idea of it springing a leak when I bite into it.


That must be the first one, topped with lettuce. We used shredded cabbage that came in a bag as slaw mix, because I like the crunch better than lettuce. We also had a diced onion, sour cream, and salsa on ours. The Pony is not a fan of those ingredients, except maybe the onion, which he might have forgotten.

I have a suspicion that The Pony's chicken burritos were tastier than ours, but Hick declared his two to be delicious.

14 comments:

  1. It does look yummy! Maybe we wll have Mexican tonight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Supper ideas! One more service provided by Val.

      Delete
  2. Looks like he put Rice-a-Roni in it, a mix of pasta and rice, and not just rice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's why I said a rice mixture. Might have been one of those Knorr's packages, which I think are faster than Rice-A-Roni.

      Delete
  3. It's time for my lunch and those chicken burritos look mighty good:) I didn't know they sold chicken chunks. I've only ever made beef burritos so now, if I remember I'm going to be looking for chicken chunks in the stores:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's in big bags in the freezer section. Might be Tyson. I don't remember the brand for sure. I think the bag had green along the top.

      Delete
  4. We make ours with ground beef, shredded cheese, onions, lettuce and salsa. Or maybe that's tacos. I don't think I've had a chicken burrito.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let the record show that I am not a savage, and of course we have burritos with ground beef when I feel like putting in more time. This is much quicker, and I can use what's in the freezer rather than buying fresh ground beef and taking the time to cook and drain it. Faster cleanup, too!.

      Delete
  5. I think they would be better with a bit of spice, but not chilli which I think I see red flakes of in The Pony's dish. Not that I ever eat burritos, all that wrapping and rolling when I could just dump it on my plate and dig in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, The Pony does not shy away from red pepper flakes. They are one of his staples. I don't like eating all the folded tortilla. So I roll my burrito up in foil, and drop a dab of salsa on it each time before I take a bite. Keeps the whole thing from getting soggy, too.

      Delete
  6. The secret to homemade (cheap) rice-a-roni is adding roni to you rice! Plus season salt, a bullion cube and butter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will keep that in mind when I make it once a year, usually in an effort to create a Chinese-ish dish with chicken and broccoli.

      Delete
  7. I have never had a burrito of any kind. But, it definitely would have no heat if I did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not a fan of heat, but I do enjoy medium salsa, and some Franks Original Red Hot Sauce, which is barely hot at all.

      Delete