Friday, September 10, 2021

Wheelin' and Dealin' With Pony House Hick: Windows

Hick found a bargain in Pony House equipment. He found it on Saturday night of Labor Day weekend, around 8:30, when he had talked about making a trip to the city to look at windows, and I asked if he couldn't find windows from random guys on Facebook like he did the cabinets. He snatched up his phone and started shopping.

"Here's some that could work. If this guy will ever send me a message."

"Um. It's SATURDAY NIGHT of LABOR DAY WEEKEND. Most people probably have plans right now. It's not like you would go shopping for windows at this hour anyway."

"No. But I can go meet him tomorrow after I close up my Storage Unit Store, and have them for Monday so I can put them in."

"Whatever. I was only suggesting. I didn't know you needed them this very minute."

Huh. I guess the Facebook guy is like Hick, without a life. They agreed to meet on the south side of the city before 4:00 on Sunday. Hick left with the intention of buying 4 windows, which were close enough to the dimensions he needed. He can trim around them if they're a little small, but doesn't want them too big so he has to cut out more wall and siding.

Hick returned with 6 windows and 1 door, for a price tag of $150. That's $20 per window, and $30 for the door. It's a metal door. Nothing fancy about the windows, but I DO like the door. Here they are, posed in Pony House, awaiting installation.

 
Nice reflection of Hick's legs, heh, heh. 

 
I'm pretty sure he put them in the master bedroom for pictures, but not sure where they will all be installed in the house.

 
That pic didn't turn out so well, but I think it might be in the living room, since I see SilverRedO in the front yard, and that's a big window already there. I'm guessing these might be bathroom windows, or for over the kitchen sink.

 
Hick says this will be the back door, because it's too big for the front door opening, which I think he said is a 32-inch door. I don't remember if this one is 34 or 36.

Are you ready for this? Hick already installed the new back door. All it took was a little trimming around the frame:

 
Hick likes seeing some tangible progress. He darts from one project to another. Pony House is taking shape.

10 comments:

  1. I love that he squirrels through the adds and gets used things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Hick is not re-building a palace. Adequate is good enough.

      Like the Ozark Mountain Daredevils song "Horse Trader" says, "Never buy a new one and pay on time, if you can get a used one for a dime."

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuS8Nvm3l_c

      Delete
  2. We have the same door on the front of our house. That Hick is a real go getter and deal maker! Maybe you guys could start a Hick and Val rehab show. You could provide the commnetary as he works. I can see this being snarkily fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We also have that front door, but with side panels with little windows.

      Hick would love an audience while he works, even if it was just me and a camera man. Even if I was (so uncharacteristically!) criticizing his methods.

      Delete
  3. Nice job on the back door. Val, I think he's a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think I'll keep him. But if I don't, he has a place to stay!

      Delete
  4. That back door is definitely front door style, pity it didn't fit. Why aren't door sizes standard? I have two doors at 32 inches, one at 31 1/2 inches and one at 26 1/2 inches. It's ridiculous. The narrowest one is the bathroom/laundry door, so of course the washing machine gouged the paint when we moved it in and I'll ask for the door to be removed then replaced if I ever have to move the machine out. Yet the machine is only 23x23 inches. I hope all the windows fit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hick might find a front door, too! He knows the measurements now. He wasn't actually looking for a door when he went to pick up the windows. He couldn't pass it up when the guy offered it to him. Hick said is was a crew that was dismantling a house. Hope it was LEGAL! Not just random people taking apart a house and selling stuff.

      Delete
  5. I like the challenge of scavenging materials. I feel so noble when I get things cheap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hick takes pride in his finds, and I enjoy saving money in our renovation budget. You always seem to need it for the unexpected, so this adds up to a cushion for unseen expenses.

      Delete