Sunday, August 8, 2021

What Am I Bid?

Sorry. I can't speak like an auctioneer. Nor type like one. Every time I try to think of how an auctioneer talks, my brain hears, "Hey, batter-batter!" You'll have to imagine it for yourself. Hopefully, you won't come up with, "We want a pitcher, not a belly-itcher!"

Here are some things Hick took to the auction last week. It's one table full of stuff, but different views to see particular items. Sorry this tale will be incomplete. I asked Hick what he wanted for his items, but I didn't write them down. Surely you don't expect me to remember such minutia from three days ago!

 
Hick must have put a reserve on his items. I do remember that he brought some back home, because I guess he wouldn't make a 50-cent profit after paying the auctioneer his commission. For sure he brought home the horses, and the drill bits. Maybe the knives, because he can get more for them at his Storage Unit Store.

 
There's a slow-cooker, still in the box, for all you gourmet cooks. And a gently-used camp stove. You might need that in case the Apopadopalyspe happens! To catch your own food to cook on it, you can get a fishing pole for $7, and a trap for miscellaneous small critters. Behind it, there's a pot to boil your water.

 
Are you a collector? Or a doll-player-wither? Here's a couple of baseball legends, still in their box. And some "Johnny Lightning" knockoff Hot Wheels cars. I wish I knew what that divided bucket thingy was. I need a direct line from my lair up to Hick's bedside, so I can get more details. Those flashlights in boxes are also tasers.

 
If you need to mold some tasty treat into the shape of a lamb, Hick's got you covered. I hope The Pony never finds out about this garlic roaster! He loves garlic! We're safe from vampire invasion while he's living here. Those M&M figures? I think Hick sold them for $3 each. I said that seemed cheap, and he said he could get $5 each at his Storage Unit Store, but all he paid for them was $3 total for a whole plastic tub full.

When Hick proudly texted that he'd bought three hats for $4.50, he didn't tell me what kind of hats. Also, I found out later that it was for $4.50 apiece! Which doesn't sound like such a bargain to me, unless maybe he had an Abe Lincoln stovepipe hat, or a John Steed (from The Avengers, that British spy show with his partner Mrs. Peel) bowler hat, or a racing legend Jackie Stewart plaid newsboy cap. I was a bit disappointed when Hick sent me the picture:

 
They are glorified trucker caps. I'm pretty sure that one in the back says, "Kiss My Bass." I'm also pretty sure Hick can sell these for at least $5 each at his Storage Unit Store, thus making his 50-cent profit. He might be keeping them, to add to his collection of 2000 hats. That's an estimate. For personal wear. I wonder, if somebody wanted to sit there, they'd tell Hick, "Move your bass!"

I'm pretty sure Hick went to four auctions last week. He might have to build another shed.

8 comments:

  1. I want the Horses! For my little red-headed dolls. But the shipping cost to Australia is ridiculous, so I'll have to let someone else buy them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Pony can't deliver them to you with his broken ankle! I guess maybe he could try to swim them over, perched on top of his head. That shouldn't hurt his ankle. And might even be faster than the USPS delivers my DISH bill.

      Delete
  2. One man's junk (stop!) is another man's 50 cent profit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, heh! A lot of people have looked at Hick's junk, and many have even paid him for it.

      Delete
  3. I used to think those auctioneers talked really fast, then I realized all they do is say "Hay bida bida bida bid" between actual words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No wonder I mistook it for batter-batter! Or maybe you have taken gaslighting lessons from Hick, and you're just telling me that, because I can't disprove it...

      Delete
  4. The divided metal bin might be a wine cooler, with ice in each compartment to keep the wine cold, or without if the wine is meant to be at room temperature. Good for picnics I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I first thought it might be for beer, but that would be kind of fancy, when most places just stick the bottles in a bucket of ice. I need to ask Hick what it is. I keep forgetting.

      Delete