Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Emergency on Shackytown Boulevard

We had a bit of unwanted excitement here Monday, over on Shackytown Boulevard. Hick wanted to get his Schoolhouse Shed under roof before the weather changes. He can't climb up and down on the roof like he used to. His familial help is not too dependable, and The Pony, mainly good for holding a ladder and handing things, is not 100% due to his broken ankle. So a couple of Hick's cronies from the Storage Unit Store came to help him put on the roof.
 
 
They were only going to be here a few hours, since the whole crew planned on going to the auction later in the day. The two helpers had a 30-minute drive back home, to get the stuff they were going to sell. Hick was just a buyer this time.

Anyhoo... as far as I knew, they were coming out here around 8:00. The weather was sunny, only 79 degrees when I checked around noon. That's almost a cold snap, considering how it's been mid-90s for a week or more. I could hear hammering intermittently, so I knew they must have shown up. Sometime between noon and 1:30, I heard the dogs woofing it up, as they do when Hick drives the Gator. So I thought maybe he was taking them on a tour, or ferrying them from Shackytown Boulevard over to the driveway. I know Helper 1 is at least Hick's age, maybe older. I think Helper 2 might have been 1's son.

At 1:50, I was busy playing Candy Crush on HIPPIE at the kitchen table, and was interrupted by a text from Hick:

"Val im at the hospital with Helper 1 think he is having a heart attack"

Well! That's certainly not something I was expecting, nor wanted to hear.

"Okay. Hope he's all right."

"Me too"

"Was he out here working with you?"

"Yes"

So not only might Helper 1 be seriously ill, but Hick would feel remorse for asking for or accepting his help. At 3:46, I got another text from Hick, saying he wasn't going to the auction.

"Okay. How is Helper 1?"

"Still dont know the nurse said his wife didn't need to come down"

"Okay. I guess that might be a good sign."

At 5:03, Hick's next text said he had decided he WAS going to the auction.

"Okay. Is Helper 1 all right?"

"Yes they said that he got dehydrated and hot and then he had a panic attack Helper 2 says he's kind of that way the panic attack"

Whew! Such a relief. I guess Hick might need to look for some IV stands and bags of D5W at the auction or Goodwill, so he can treat his helpers right next time...

8 comments:

  1. He may have to build a Gatorade shack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait! A themed shed on Shackytown Boulevard that is USEFUL? I'm not sure it's zoned for that.

      Delete
  2. He'd be better off to get some insurance and a good attorney.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am making a Note-To-Hick reminding him never to Tom-Sawyer you into helping with one of his projects!

      As for insurance, we've had a million dollar umbrella policy since before we even built the house. In case one of those young ruffians who broke into Hick's creekside cabin and smashed his collectibles might have sustained a scratch during the commission of their crime.

      We've had the good lawyer longer than the umbrella policy. So good that without doing anything, he got me out of jury duty several times, just by being the lawyer on the case. I'd raise my hand and declare that I could not be impartial, because I'd take my lawyer's side in any case. Hick used to say we owned a door on his Mercedes. It's probably TWO doors, and the windshield by now.

      Delete
  3. I think Helper 1 should be fully aware of his condition and remember to drink enough water on sunny days and more when he is working at physical labour tasks. But thank goodness Hick was able to drive him to hospital.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hick was at the hospital with him about 4 hours. I said I hoped he wasn't sitting around SICK people! Hick said it was only them, and a man/woman couple who said the woman had been waiting to be seen for two hours. Hick didn't know what was wrong with her, but said she had a blood-pressure cuff on her arm. No coughing or outward signs of sickness. The ER was pretty much a ghost town.

      Delete
  4. Maybe Hick will set up a MASH tent for emergencies in Shanty Town!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it would have to be a themed MASH shack! No soft-sides in Hick's Shackytown!

      Delete