Saturday, August 14, 2021

A CENTSible Val is NOT Triskaidekaphobic

A better week than anticipated for Val's Future Pennyillionaire Fortune! 
 
On SATURDAY, August 7, I stopped by the Backroads Casey's for scratchers. For a moment, I thought I was in Orb K, by the looks of the floor. That's what caught my attention first. THEN I noticed a special treat waiting for me.

 
Yes, it WAS the trashy floor that caught my eye, and NOT the sculpted gastrocnemius muscles of that dude at the counter! I followed the direction that straw wrapper pointed me, and saw the DIME eager for my rescue. I was SO afraid that dude was going to see it and pick it up. Or step on it, and walk out with it stuck to his shoe. It was all I could do not to pull a Shirley Feeney cracker-pounce on it, like that episode of Laverne and Shirley where they went to a fancy party after leaving their weekend as lab subjects in a starvation study.

 
It was a face-down 2021 dime, all shiny and new, soaking up filth from that floor.
_____________________________________________________________________

TUESDAY, August 10, I'd planned to go in the kind-of-shady liquor store for scratchers, but the line at the drive-thru window was so long that it blocked the entrance. So I went across the street to the Backroads Casey's, but they were out of $3 crossword tickets. When I put my 44 oz Diet Coke on the counter of the Gas Station Chicken Store and handed over my winners, the gal said their ticket scanner was down, because there'd been a lightning strike. Which meant they also couldn't print the Cash4Life draw tickets The Pony wanted. So... I had to stop by Orb K. It was a roundabout journey that put me there, with somebody parked in my favorite spot. But it was meant to be!

 
The minute I opened T-Hoe's door, they were waiting for me! TWO pennies, although the light makes that left one impersonate a dime.

 
That shiny fellow was a face-down 2020 penny.

 
The other was a heads-up 2016 version. Easy to tell them apart, with them being on differently-textured surfaces.
____________________________________________________________________

WEDNESDAY, August 11, found me once again at the Backroads Casey's. While waiting in line, I spied a PENNY under the rack at the unused register. Sadly, my phone was suffering from entering the cool air-conditioning after the 95-degree heat and almost liquid humidity, and the camera was cantankerous.

 
That makes me feel like I'm underwater. Which would not be good for those chips. But wouldn't hurt those giant insulated cups for soda. I bet they'd hold 44 ounces!

 
I am disappointed that you can't see the detail of this face-down 1958 penny. It's a WHEAT PENNY! I could even tell that without my bifocals! My unglassesed eyes could see better than this fancy phone camera. Here, let's see a close-up of it at home:

 
__________________________________________________________________

That's 4 COINS, and 13 CENTS this week towards Val's Future Pennyillionaire Fortune.
__________________________________________________________________

2021 RUNNING TOTAL

Penny       # 83, 84, 85.
Dime         # 11.
Nickel       still at 4.
Quarter    still at 5.

2020 TOTALS
Penny     134
Dime        25
Nickel      10
Quarter      1
________________________________________________________

8 comments:

  1. Add another penny or two for a wheat penny, and if there is doubling on the 1958 you could retire...oh wait.

    One of the biggest and rarest errors for Wheat Pennies is the 1958 Doubled Die Error. Only three examples are known to exist, with only two being officially graded

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have started hunting pennies earlier if I knew I could retire on a special wheat!

      Delete
  2. I'm surprised at your phone acting all princessy about temperature changes. Mine never gives me any trouble that way.
    Good haul on the coins :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surely you can't be suggesting OPERATOR ERROR! The only time the phone does that is when I go from hot to cool areas. Otherwise, it will unfocus when I get to a certain closeup distance. But those chip racks are blurry, and not a closeup.

      This week's harvest was more plentiful than anticipated.

      Delete
    2. Not operator error, but manufacturer error.

      Delete
    3. Good to know that my reputation for having mad skillz with technological gew-gaws has not been besmirched!

      Delete
  3. hey lucky woman, I hope you bring hand sanitizer so you don't pick up more than pennies off those floors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Despite appearances, the floor is probably the cleanest thing I could touch in those stores. It is only contaminated by dog-poopy shoe soles, and not by people's filthy hands. I DO wash my hands after penny-picking.

      Delete