Monday, August 30, 2021

A Sketchy Sketch of the NEW Pony House Floor Plan

Hick has been re-thinking the floor plan of Pony House. His brainstorm was a result of what he and HOS (Hick's Oldest Son) found when they tore off the back wall that was sagging, with water damage on some main board at the bottom. The damage was less than Hick anticipated. He won't have to replace the entire wall. Just a few big boards to level out the floor, which will allow him to also fix the wall, and run his plumbing.

I'm sure you will be as relieved as I am to hear that Hick is NOT building a bathroom out of part of the living room. The living room will now stay the full size. Instead, he will be putting a half-bath in the hall from the living room to the back door.

This new plan also includes a full bathroom off the second bedroom. So Hick is making Pony House with 2 bedrooms, and 2.5 bathrooms. The Pony might as well put up a Rest Stop sign in his front yard! I have tried to sketch out a floor plan to give you some idea of what you'll be seeing as I share pictures of the Pony House progress. I know it's hard to imagine, seeing bits and pieces of disjointed rooms. That said... my sketch is pretty sketchy. And I don't mean the "attractive" definition of pretty.
 
 
I used a sketch Hick made for me, just to make sure of where the innards are. I haven't walked through with him showing me the half-bath and closet area. At least I made my sketch utilizing the existing bones of Pony House. For contrast, here's Hick's sketch:
 
 
Hick forgot that the house shape has a living room that sticks out, and a bedroom that is recessed from the front of the house. In fact, Hick shows you walking through the front door into the Master Bath! Which is what he should have labeled as the Master Bedroom. But it doesn't go all the way to the front like that.
 
The Pony and I know how Hick thinks, and realize that what's in his nogging doesn't always make it out on paper, or in a verbal explanation. But he can be trusted cutting up and building back the innards of a house!
 
I told you it wasn't pretty! Yes, we both wrote on white paper. Mine on printer paper, and Hick's on the back of a form The Pony has for claiming his pay while he's off work with a broken ankle. I even took the pictures under a light in the basement, not under a burned-out light. 
 
That's the tentative floor plan for Pony House. Tomorrow, in-house photos of the Master Bedroom and Master Bath, on the first walk-through.
 
 
This is just for general reference, the actual shape of Pony House.

4 comments:

  1. Not sure but it looks like he is getting his large tub with water jets. The Pony may not need all those bathrooms, but when time comes to upgrade, they will add a lot of value.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find... an acceptable version at a reasonable price in stock at the local Menard's.

      The tub has jets, but is not as big as the one he's accustomed to soaking in two hours per night. Hick showed The Pony pictures from the store, but has not yet purchased one.

      The second full bathroom off the second bedroom is a bargaining point for The Pony to persuade a college friend to co-habit after graduation, while looking for full-time work, and split the "rent" payment. They had a work-from-home job over the summer, so it would be do-able.

      That second bedroom/bath could also be a drawing point for a future buyer, perhaps a family with a teen child.

      Delete
  2. Those sketches are pretty good, certainly I got the general idea easily. Hick's sketch is like something I would do when first getting an idea, your sketch is the refinement of that idea. The bedrooms look narrow, are they narrow? I like bedrooms more square, so that's how I usually draw them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The drawings are not to scale, just from memory. I used a ruler to get straight lines, but no measuring was involved. I wouldn't say the bedrooms are "narrow," but they are not square. More rectangular. Maybe you can judge it better when you see the actual photos.

      Delete