Sunday, August 29, 2021

I'll Have What They're Serving at Hick's Table

Hick may not have much luck with lottery tickets, but he sure wins more than he should at the auctions. Not the 50-50 drawing for cash this time, but another table prize. You may recall that everyone selling at the auction puts an item on the table. People buy chances to win. If your number is drawn as the winner, you can pick one thing off the table, then the other sellers get their items back. The seller who put the chosen item on the table gets half the proceeds from the tickets sold.

Anyhoo... Hick sent me an email on Saturday night:

"Won table prize had 2.00 in tickets"
 
 
 
That's a 16 x 24 inch LED Message Board, new in the box. I asked how much it was worth, and Hick said, "Probably $35-$40." I guess Hick needs to call his LED Message Board Guy, because a quick consult with my estranged BFF Google shows that Walmart has them for $29.99. Still a bargain for the $2 purchase price, though. That's why Hick has experts on speed dial, for the few fields in which he is not well-versed.
 
Hick could have at least turned it so you could read the box without breaking your neck. I could have rotated it right by 90 degrees, but then you might have been mystified by those chairs defying gravity by handing from a wall.
 
I asked Hick what he would do with this prize, and he said, "I'll use it up at my store."
 
If I was a betting woman... I'd say you could probably buy that item for $2.50.

8 comments:

  1. Well, then. He cleaned out the money, sort of. Life's little joys, $2 or more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hick loves to win anything, whether it's useful or not!

      Delete
  2. An LED message board! I thought it was one of those old menu blackboards form an old cafe. I saw plenty in years gone by, some were just scrawled with things like "coffee/sandwiches" some were beautifully written with drawn coloured illustrations added.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I thought! I know Hick's writing, so I was concerned what he would do with such a board.

      Delete
  3. I think the real winner was the guy who unloaded the LED message board.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Even if Hick was the only person who bought tickets, and the guy just made a dollar. Hick sure is proud of his prize, though. You'd think it was a leg lamp...

      Delete
    2. No. And I stopped myself from "accidentally" breaking it while dusting (I don't dust), so Hick didn't have to start rassen-frassen swearing at me.

      Delete