Monday, August 9, 2021

Such a PreHICKament

Hick found himself in a predicament Saturday night. He'd spent the morning and early afternoon at his Storage Unit Store. Then he went to look at (and purchase) some materials for the house we don't own yet. After that, he went by HOS's (Hick's Oldest Son) house for some help with heavy lifting. Then Hick called to say he didn't have time to come home, he was going directly to the auction. When he got home after 9:00, he came down to my lair on the way to one of his safes in the basement workshop.

"I almost got myself in trouble at the auction. It was over, and I was settling up my bill, and when I opened my billfold, I only had forty dollars! My tickets added up to $127.50. I'd been trying to add it up in my head as I went along. I was sure I had enough money. I always have money with me. I forgot that I'd bought that stuff off Facebook from that guy!

I reached in my shirt pocket, where I put the money I take in at my locker. I had 55 ones, and two twenties. So I had $95, plus that $40 from my billfold. So I had $135 to pay my $127.50 bill. I'd been getting worried. I figured I had the credit card with me. And a couple buddies were there that would have loaned me money. So I still could have got my stuff. But I don't want to do that again!"

I guess it's a good thing Hick made a lot of 50-cent profits that day...

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip. I'll be sure to check my pockets and wallet before I ever go to an auction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think he'd better start picking up pennies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hick has nowhere to put his pennies. His giant plastic Coke bottle bank is FULL! A mere goblet will not hold Hick's pennies. They're not from finding, though. Just pocket change he's been saving for 30 years.

      Delete
  3. That's a wad of ones! Catalyst is on to something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What do you expect from someone who sells items for a 50-cent profit, gold bullion? I'm pretty sure Hick makes a lot of $1-$4 sales, since he always comes home from Storage Unit Store days with a wad of ones. Which I sometimes buy for spending on my 44 oz Diet Cokes.

      Delete
  4. Whew! That was a close call. He was probably shaking in his shoes until he discovered his stash. Check his pockets befoire you wash his clothes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hick washes his own clothes, due to a hissy-fit he threw during our first year of marriage, when I declared that I would no longer pick up his dirty clothes from the floor, and would only wash what was in the hamper. I think most men would have tired of this chore after a few weeks of self-laundry. Hick's learning curve seems to be horizontal.

      Delete