Friday, August 13, 2021

Just Plugging Along

Has anyone else's internet service been slow? Like CREEPING along, slower than dial-up. Slower than Christmas Eve when you're 5. Slower than the an ti ci paa tion of the ketchup coming out of the bottle. Since Thursday morning (by which I mean NOON), I've practically grown a long white beard waiting for pages to load. Both on New Delly and HIPPIE. I reset my router. AND the DISH dish. Which is how we get our internet. The skies were sunny. No excuse. My internet is slower than the US Mail being delivered Galapagos-Tortoise-back on a vehicle with a broken ankle, slogging through the just-congealing La Brea Tar Pits!

Anyhoo... I'm glad I downloaded these pictures Wednesday night, or my fingernails might have grown out like some curlicued record-breaker while waiting on them, preventing me from typing on the keyboard.

This is what Hick almost couldn't pay for at the auction. What he spent his $127.50 on. He said there were a couple more items, but didn't elaborate, nor send me a picture. 

 
Fishing plugs!

 
Sorry some of these photos look upside down. I'm not taking the TIME to flip them.

 
Oodles and oodles of fishing plugs! Don't worry, only one more photo. Hick didn't snap pictures of all the containers. Funny how the pictures he sent me were all facing the same way, looking at them like the container was sitting on his lap with the lid up. All facing the same way when I saved them in Pictures. Yet they come out all willy-nilly through Blogger. If I was a conspiracy theorist, I'd say somebody was messing with me!

 
Anyhoo... Hick said he bought 90 fishing plugs. He sells them for $2.00 to $2.50 each. So that's at least $180 that he'll eventually get out of them. Better than a 50-cent profit for his $127.50. He said he's already sold $20 worth.

Hick might as well be running a sporting goods store, but without the athletic equipment. Heh, heh. He could name his storage locker business "Davey Jones's Locker." Although he might lose a little business to those customers who are superstitious. Which reminds me... this is Friday the 13th.

12 comments:

  1. LIVE IN RURAL Idaho where we have two tin cans and a string internet.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Misery (and Missouri) loves company. Thanks for feeling my pain!

      Delete
  2. THey should sell like hotcakes. He could be the International House of Fishing Plugs...or IHOFP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, because if he tried "Plugs R Us," he might be confused with a hair restoration business.

      Delete
  3. But are they worth more than a plug nickel?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. According to Hick they're worth more than 10 plug nickels! He doesn't carry merchandise unless he can't make at least a 50-cent profit.

      Delete
  4. What's the difference between plugs and lures? Will he sell them by the box or individually, then sell the boxes individually as well? He'll make a few dollars for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use the terms interchangeably, like Hick. But I took 30 minutes to look it up for you. Have you heard? My internet is SLOW!!!

      Apparently all plugs are lures, but all lures are not plugs! LURE is the generic name for fake bait. A plug is a special kind of lure. Here's more than you will ever need to know. Sorry I couldn't capture the picture here, but you can probably find one in Hick's selection.

      "Plugs or crankbaits are hard plastic fishing lures shaped and colored to resemble bait fish or other prey. They’re made out of a solid or hollow piece of plastic, with a thin sheet of metal or plastic attached to the front. This sheet is called a lip.

      The lip is sometimes adjustable to make the lure wobble. Plugs feature two or three treble hooks. Depending on the design, plugs can float, sink, dive, or hover.

      Most plugs float on the water’s surface or suspend in the water, but dive sharply when retrieved. You can take advantage of this with a series of reel-and-stop moves that will resemble the behavior of live bait fish. Change your twitching intervals and reeling speed for variety."

      Now you're all set to go fishing! Can I interest you in some lures? It looks like Hick's purchase WAS mostly plugs. Except for those wormy things.

      Hick will sell them however somebody wants to buy them. He might give a discount for multiple items. Sometimes he makes up a little tackle box, or one of those boxes shown, to sell as a package deal with a pole.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the explanation, but nix on the fishing. I "catch" my fish in the supermarket, mostly in the canned section, sometimes in the freezer aisle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you don't have to worry about falling out of the boat!

      Delete
  6. Hick will hook a buyer and make a big catch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see what you did there! Hick could certainly school people on how to reel in a buyer.

      Delete