Saturday, August 7, 2021

Some Kind of COINcidence

 All of Val's coins came on one day this week. Who wouldn't want a work week like that?

MONDAY, August 2, put me over in Sis-Town, at the School-Turn Casey's, on my way to mail the monthly payment for SilverRedO. I just don't trust the dead-mouse-smelling post office in Backroads anymore.

Anyhoo... as I waited in line, I spied a penny waiting for me at the corner of the counter holding sweet treats, to be washed down with cans of MONSTER, an energy drink. I'm pretty sure that's a combination I wouldn't want my students to have.

 
It's down there at the junction of the MONSTER cases and the pegboard.

 
Of course I was pleased to find this heads-up 1982 Abe Lincoln, even though he looked like he might have been born with a caul which was just now slipping from his face. Into my shirt pocket he went.

When I stepped up for my turn at the counter, I spied a SECOND penny lying in wait!

 
If he was a snake, he might have made a futile attempt to bite me, like those baby copperheads I came across on the blacktop walking trail out at the state park many years ago.

 
This was a face-down 2019 penny. Is it just me, or do the newer versions seem a little bit "plain" compared to the classics? This penny went into my pants pocket, so I could discern between the two once I got home and checked the dates.

Back home, I was happily ensconced in my lair when I got a Pony text as he was running his nightly bath in the big triangle tub in the master bathroom.

"Found a dime on the carpet. Face up. Want me to get a picture, or leave it there?"

"Where?"

"By your sock spot, beside the shoe crate where you turn down my hall."

"Yes. A picture. And put it on the kitchen counter."

 
Okay. Maybe I should pick up my sock lint left by my black Doc Ortho socks in case another coin mysteriously appears in the house... After much interrogation of The Pony, I still don't know how this dime materialized. I don't go down his hall, other than to put on my socks with my foot propped on the piano bench. When that happens, I'm right out of the shower, in my going-to-town clothes, bereft of money. I only have coins in my pocket when I RETURN from town. At which time I make a beeline for MY bathroom, which is in the opposite direction of The Pony's hall. Hick does not go down there unless someone is in our master bathroom, which is only during The Pony's bath.
 
 
It was a heads-up 2020 dime. I'm counting it!

Here's the thing: I had put on my socks to go to town, and did not see a dime on the floor. You KNOW I'm always looking down! Hick had been out of the house since 7:30 a.m., and didn't return until after 4:00. I heard him stumping around in the master bathroom above my lair, so he didn't go down that hall. The Pony had returned from lunch with his cousin right before I showered and left for town. I thought maybe he had picked up a dime in the grooves of his broke-ankle walking boot, but he said the tread will not do that. So... sometime between 2:00 and 7:00, with only The Pony traveling that hallway, a dime appeared. The Pony carries no coins. He spends plastic.

Did I ever tell you that for two weeks after my dad died, we found DIMES all over the house? Assorted dimes, in various rooms. Only dimes. One at a time. Yeah. I'm pretty sure I've mentioned that.
___________________________________________________________________________
 
This week delivered 3 COINS, and 12 CENTS, to Val's Future Pennyillionaire Fortune.
________________________________________________________

2021 RUNNING TOTAL

Penny       # 81, 82.
Dime         # 10.
Nickel       still at 4.
Quarter    still at 5.

2020 TOTALS
Penny     134
Dime        25
Nickel      10
Quarter      1
________________________________________________________

6 comments:

  1. That is a lot of sense for one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feast or famine! Val and her ample rumpus much prefer the feast days.

      Delete
  2. Think of the dime as a gift from Dad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking of it as a reminder.Or maybe a bribe! I have not made my weekly visit to the cemetery for two weeks! I've been taking a different route for three trips to the main post office last week, the week before, there was a grave-digging nearby.

      Delete
  3. I think it was your Dad, too. Sometimes when I am working in my garden and it is quiet, I can hear my Kevin chuckling softly. I keep waiting for a visit from my sister, but she remains silent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I'm a believer. Of course Kevin would visit you. I think your sister is not yet ready, or is visiting someone else, perhaps.

      After my mom died, I had dreams of her, down to the specific clothes she was wearing each time, with a golden glow around her. My niece had the same kind of dreams. Noticed the clothes, and the glow. Sis was upset because she was not having these dreams. Maybe she doesn't have "the shine," or maybe Mom didn't think Sis was ready yet, because it might upset her so soon.

      Delete