Saturday, June 26, 2021

Sing a Song of FivePENCE

Ma may me mo mooooo... Ma may me mo mooooo... I'm warming up. You better have your affairs in order, because the fat lady is about to sing! After, of course, doing her grade-school vocal warm-up. With so many people waiting for me to sing, I don't want to throw out a vocal cord.
 
It's been a good penny-week for Val's Future Pennyillionaire Fortune!
 
SATURDAY, June 19, I came out of the Gas Station Chicken Store and found a penny that I'd missed going in!

 
It's there. Really! At the apex of a triangle formed by those two cigarette rumpuses. It was blocked by T-Hoe's door when I got out, but as I opened it up to get back in, the glint caught my eye.

 
It's a very photogenic face down 2021 penny, shining in the sun.
__________________________________________________________________

TUESDAY, June 22, I left my phone in the car as I dashed into Country Mart to get scratchers out of their machine. I haven't found a penny there since that man beat me to one in front of the ticket machine. So I assumed it would be another dry run. You know what happens when we ASSUME! We find a penny without a way to prove it by pic!
 
 
This rugged 2001 Abe was heads-up on the salmon-colored tile in the vestibule between the two sets of sliding double doors. I snatched him up before a roving old man could claim him! There he is, posed on a $3 crossword scratcher. It was a loser. But I was a winner! Of a new old penny.
____________________________________________________________________
 
WEDNESDAY, June 23, provided me another penny at Orb K. There it was, glinting at me from the entrance to the cattle chute of last-minute snack selections you must be herded through to be waited on.
 
 
Orb K's attempt at coercing Val into buying snacks continues to fail. I'm not spending my scratcher money on SNACKS, by cracky!

 
It was a beautiful shiny 2014 penny, heads-down, flaunting its rumpus-side. If my rumpus was that shiny, I would flaunt it, too! Not-Heaven, I flaunt it anyway, like when I took the picture and picked it up.
_________________________________________________________________

THURSDAY, June 24, I barely discovered the treasure awaiting me in Orb K.

 
They are so camouflaged by that coppery concrete! It's there! About halfway between the blue spot and the orange spot. 

 
It was a heads-up 2013 penny, sporting a sharp-chinned, wild-haired Abe Lincoln. The line waiting in the cattle chute behind me seemed restless, even though I had stepped between the registers to get this one. Perhaps they were experiencing rumpus-shock. I dropped that penny in my shirt pocket, turned to start out, and found ANOTHER PENNY WAITING FOR ME!

I couldn't, with clear conscience, pause for a picture, and rumpify those traumatized line-waiters any further. So I picked it up, and posed it in T-Hoe.

 
There it is, on a LOSING Black Pearl scratcher. They can't all be $100 winners like The Pony got! If only I'd known before buying it that I was destined to lose... Abe is looking a little more kempt on this one.

 
I found this 2009 version heads-up, but look at its tail! It's the elusive AXE LINCOLN! I think I've only found one other penny with the log Lincoln on the back. My phone camera would not let me focus on him, preferring those losing black pearls instead.
_________________________________________________________

That makes 5 COINS, for 5 CENTS added to Val's fortune this week.
_________________________________________________________
 
2021 RUNNING TOTAL

Penny       # 57, 58, 59, 60, 61.
Dime         still at 4.
Nickel       still at 1.
Quarter    still at 3.

2020 TOTALS
Penny     134
Dime        25
Nickel      10
Quarter      1
________________________________________________________

2 comments:

  1. One more penny and you could have sung Sing a Song of Sixpence. I've never seen a Lincoln on a log before. Over here, all our pennies were the same, when we had them. All the rest of our coins are almost always exactly the same, only changing to commemorate something and then usually it is only the dollar or two dollar coins that change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I'm always thinking in my penny quest: "Just one more..."

      The log Lincoln is not seen often. I wonder if people are hoarding him because he's different. I like seeing the variety of Lincoln's hairstyles on different models of the pennies. I don't know why they have to re-do the coins so much. A coin is a coin. It doesn't spend any differently if Lincoln is more handsome!

      Delete