Monday, June 28, 2021

At Least We Don't Have to Shoot The Pony!

Last week, The Pony reached a milestone. The halfway point of his probationary period, 60 calendar days of employment. Then two days later, he almost bought the farm!

Let the record show that since he began delivering the mail, The Pony has sustained two injuries. One being the sprained (?) wrist from carrying a heavy awkwardly-shaped package. And the other being the sliced flesh of his pinky-finger from an attack cat as he slid the mail through a door slot. I guess SOMEBODY doesn't want to receive bills...

Anyhoo... I was a bit concerned to get a text from The Pony on Saturday evening.

"I stepped in/broke open a hole that went up to my knee. I'm fine, will explain more later."

Of course I was on the edge of the short couch, hardly able to endure the 90 minutes of suspense, as The Pony treated himself to Little Caesar's pizza on the way home. I gave up after an hour, and went to my lair for distraction. I was quite relieved when the rest of the story was revealed.

"I was walking through a yard I've walked through before, when all at once, my leg kept going down when I stepped. I guess I didn't see the hole, or it was covered up and I broke through. It was almost as deep as my knee! I fell forward onto my knees, and caught myself with my hands. Didn't break the elbows like I usually do when I fall like that! So I'm okay!" [Yes, The Pony has previously broken both elbows, one requiring surgery.]

"Whew! You could have broken you leg! Or torn the cruciate ligaments in your knee! They need surgery within three days to be like new again."

"But the best part is: I DIDN'T DROP THE MAIL!"

The Pony was so earnest about saving that mail! The USPS doesn't realize what a thoroughbred they have in The Pony.

6 comments:

  1. Worried about the mail. What kind of a mailman is he?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The on-probation assistant kind of mailman! He'll learn the ropes soon enough.

      Delete
  2. First we praise the First Responders, then the Mail Carriers! Rah, rah, Pony!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will pass on your accolades to The Pony. He takes his job seriously. Made sure NOT TO GET BLOOD ON THE MAIL when a cat scratched him a couple weeks ago!

      Delete
  3. Rain, hail or holes, the US mail will get through! Go Pony!
    Glad he's okay, that could have been nasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think they told him about the HOLES part at orientation! He could have dislocated a kneecap, with no one there to pop it back in place!

      Delete