Saturday, June 5, 2021

A CENT On Time Saves Whine

Val's penny cornucopia this week was as bare as Old Mother Hubbard's cupboard. Almost. As bare as if Ol' Mama Hub rooted around and found, perhaps, a tiny little Halloween-size minuscule square shiny-wrapped Milky Way shoved to the back of the bottom shelf of her cupboard.
 
MONDAY, May 31, I was headed to town for my 44 oz Diet Coke and scratchers. I had a plan, formulated the night before, of what I was cashing in where, and what I was buying. Coasting down the hill in front of Hick's Storage Unit Store compound, I suddenly signaled a left turn, and veered into Orb K's parking lot. I rarely do that. It's very hard to make a left out Orb K's lot when leaving, headed into town. It's a stop I make on the way home.
 
Huh. That was not part of the plan. I just had a feeling. A white sedan backed out of my favorite parking space next to the handicap walkway, freeing it up for T-Hoe. I pulled in and stepped out.
 
 
There was a little gift waiting for me! If I'd stuck to my original plan, if I'd parked in a different space, if I'd drifted a tiny bit closer to the line of the handicap zone... I wouldn't have been able to claim this very special PENNY FROM HEAVEN! May 31 was my mom 's birthday...
 
 
It was a heads-up 2008 penny. Mom and I had a special joke in 2008. I had given her a birthday card that was the total opposite of something she espoused. We had a good giggle over it. Then she put it on her mantel. Mom said she'd glance at it every now and then, and have another fit of giggles. She was mortified when she had some work done on her bathroom sink down in the family room, and realized that the card was in plain sight for the worker she had hired through her church.

Heh, heh. I'm giggling even now. Thanks for the penny, Mom.

Yes, it was a single penny Val found this week. Barely a drop in the goblet of her Future Pennyillionare Fortune. I'm not complaining. It's one of my most meaningful pennies.
________________________________________________________
 
2021 RUNNING TOTAL

Penny       # 52.
Dime         still at 4.
Nickel       still at 1.
Quarter    still at 3.

2020 TOTALS
Penny     134
Dime        25
Nickel      10
Quarter      1
________________________________________________________

2 comments: