Thursday, February 15, 2024

Super Hole Sunday

When planning snacks for the Super Bowl, I asked Hick what he wanted for dessert. He said Oreos. That was easy enough. I even bought him the Double Stuff version. In a family pack! I don't like Oreos, and The Pony preferred the little chocolate donuts, and the brownies. So Hick had a family pack of Double Stuff Oreos all to himself. Not that he'd eat them all on Super Bowl Sunday, of course. But nobody else would be partaking of them.


If only the Oreos looked like that picture on the package! Well. I still wouldn't eat them. But wouldn't that be a treat? If the Double Stuff Oreos of today had that much cream filling? In reality, they don't even have as much cream filling as the regular Oreos used to have. Shrinkflation, I guess. I only notice when I make my Oreo cakes every Christmas.

Anyhoo... as I was shopping in 10Box, I found two stacks of Double Stuff Oreo packages on the shelf. Not wanting to risk a package that might have been knocked off the shelf and broken, I carefully removed a couple of packages, and took one from the stack behind the main stacks. Only the best for my Hick!

On Super Bowl Sunday, I went to town early. I was back home by 2:45. I started setting out the stuff that I'd stored on the kitchen table all week. The chips, the donuts, the brownies, the Oreos, the Hawaiian Rolls. As I arranged them to my liking, something about the Oreos caught my eye.


THERE WAS A HOLE IN THE BACK OF THE PACKAGE!!!

Too late to go back to town for more. The Pony was coming at 3:00 to get started planning the cooking schedule. When he came in, I showed him the compromised Oreo package.

"That's not good!"

"I know! But Dad is expecting Oreos. I didn't think I had to inspect every single package before buying something off the shelf!"

"Huh. He probably won't notice."

"It's not like a rat gnawed it open. Looks like it got stuck and ripped on the seam, or got cut open when they took it out of the box. They might be stale."

"I doubt he'll notice."

"Especially if we give him enough Wild Turkey! You're in charge of making his drink."

After his main courses of snacks, The Pony offered to bring Hick some Oreos in a bowl. "Just tell me how many you want, Dad." Hick never mentioned anything about the Oreos. I think he's been eating some out of the package since then. 

I know Hick didn't sneak into that package of Oreos early, because he's not one to disguise his efforts. He would merely open the top of the bag as normal, and press the seal back down. His sneaking comes from indulging while I'm gone to town. Not in secretly opening a snack.

I'm pretty sure Hick will suffer no permanent damage from eating Oreos out of a package that was not sealed when I bought it.

8 comments:

  1. I HATE Oreos! Too sweet junk inside. I take the cookie and scrape the white stuff off with a knife. The plain cookie is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Double Stuff for you! I hate the cookie part more, but that doesn't mean I like the filling.

      Delete
  2. I like Oreos but haven't bought them for a long time. Sometimes you can't win trying to find the perfect packaged snack or whatever. I know because I've done the same as you... reached for an in the back of the pack package to get a better "Best Used By" date and most of the time I am not rewarded for my extra effort. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least that tactic works for me when I'm buying the Nutty Oat Bread. IF there's a better date, it's always in the back. I haven't had a hole in the bread bag yet!

      Delete
  3. I laughed thinking about Hick not even noticing they were stale! You really have to examine things when you shop. You know Lowes put the stove rejects from me on the sales floor. Marked down, of course, but the one with the bent frame can't be fixed according to the repairman. Some poor soul will think they are getting a real bargain! So wrong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now he will think they might be stale because he already opened them!

      That's a dirty trick by Lowe's. It's tactics like this that make Hick stick his thumb in the uneaten rolls when we go out to eat. "Now they can't put them on someone else's table." I used to think Hick was being outrageous, but now I think he's looking out for his fellow diners.

      Delete
  4. I always check packaging in the store now ever since I tossed a plastic bag of breadcrumbs in my trolley and left a trail wherever I went in the store because the seams on the bag weren't properly sealed. I didn't notice until I got to the checkout and lifted it and crumbs spilled out. The sevice girl sent an assistant to get me a new one and it was discovered the whole batch was faulty. I got my bag for free that day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, heh! You are a real-life fairy tale, leaving a trail of bread crumbs. That's excellent customer service. At Country Mart, they would probably ring up that leaky bag and still charge full price, even though half the contents were gone!

      Delete