Wednesday, April 19, 2023

The One Hundred Dollar Man

On the very same day a random dude at the Gas Station Chicken Store told me I wasn't supposed to park in a marked parking space beside the building... I encountered another self-important customer at Casey's. Just a few minutes after the parking space incident! I swear, rumpusholes must grow on trees in Backroads. They are like kudzu, everywhere, aggressively choking the life out of the rightful inhabitants like Val!

Anyhoo... I was at the counter of Casey's, speaking the numbers of the scratchers I wanted, when a customer walked in and stood behind me. 

"Can you break a hundred?"

The cashier was one of my favorites. She's a bit droll. Some might call her cranky. But she gets the job done, and doesn't mess around.

"I don't know. You'll have to wait--"

YES! My cashier, a mature woman like myself (some might call her old) was standing up to this butter-inner! This ain't her first rodeo. She was really putting him in his place!

"--my manager just dropped the cash, and I don't know what's in the drawer."

So much for THAT assumption. Anyhoo... Cashier went on about her business of getting my scratchers, but Mouthy McMoutherson had to keep on with his business of not-waiting his turn.

"Of course I plan to buy a couple things..."

"I'll just have to wait until my drawer it open."

Why in the NOT-HEAVEN can't these rumpusholes wait their turn in line??? This guy was late-40s, with a gray ponytail, wearing cargo shorts. Does he not grasp the concept of A LINE? It's not like he was 50 customers back. He was directly NEXT in line. But I guess my business didn't matter. 

Seems like 99 percent of the time this happens to me, it's A MAN who can't wait his turn.

4 comments:

  1. I never found anyone not prepared to wait their turn when I worked at checkout, but supermarkets are very different from convenience stores. I once had an offer from a convenience store owner to leave my supermarket job and come work for her because I was clearly very good at what I did. I told her no thank you. Convenience stores are too often the victims of robberies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have not noticed people butting in at the grocery store. Then again, it's most often women in line there. And they do seem a lot safer, due to the hours, and having more workers around than just a single cashier.

      Delete
  2. I love your description of him. Gray ponytail sound familiar with the men in Missouri. But, you didn't mention his teeth, so I am assuming his were in fairly good shape. I was thinking maybe meth usage could explain his self importance ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only glanced at him as he came through the door, and did not notice his teeth. Which must mean he was more of a hipster kind of guy, possibly passing through Backroads from an urban area.

      Delete