Friday, April 21, 2023

Backroads Hazards Part 1: The Universe Tries to Make Val a Jumpy Driver

Thursday was a day not fit for man nor beast behind the wheel of a vehicle! I took my life in my hands while running my weekly errands. I got out a couple hours early, because possible storms were in the forecast, leaving home at 12:30 rather than my usual 2:30. The day had just clouded up. Winds were 15-20 mph, with gusts of 40, and a possibility later of 60 mph wind and hail.

I headed straight to the bank over in Sis-Town. I don't take T-Hoe on the highway. Just local roads with a 35 mph speed limit in the populated areas. There I was, tooling along, homes on my right, an apartment complex on my left, when WHOOPSIE! Something flew out of the construction truck ahead of me. He was pulling one of those white closed-up trailers that I assume carry saws and pipes and tools. His truck was a flat-bed version. I had seen something on it what was black and bright green. Didn't pay attention. 

UNTIL THAT OBJECT CAME FLIPPING END-OVER-END AT ME!

Good thing the wind caught it, and settled it on the road shoulder on my right! Actually, the wind catching it is likely what launced that object at me in the first place.

IT WAS A TRAMPOLINE!

That death-missile landed with the jumpy part down on the pavement, and the six or eight metal poles sticking up in the air. I am SO GLAD they did not pierce T-Hoe's windshield and my skull and brain!

That got my adrenaline pumping!

Little did I know that I was in for two more surprises on my journey...

6 comments:

  1. Did the truck stop to get the trampoline? Just think, you could have had a trampoline for Jack to jump on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! The driver pulled over immediately. I guess he felt it leave his truck. I imagine his rumpushole puckered as he saw it sailing away in his mirror. It was as big as a large kitchen table. So kind of big for my little Jack. I kept going, though I wish I could have watched that guy try to pick it up and put it back on his truck.

      Delete
  2. Holey doughnut! That was a close call! I'm so glad I don't drive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Driving would be safer if people didn't haul trampolines on a day with forecast 60 mph wind gusts!

      Delete
  3. you would think he would have strapped it down! When organizing the tool shed I discovered about 2 dozen strap down things in various engths and widths. He Who is a big believer in securing loads, though not believing in keeping them all in one space and easy to find, preferring to just purchase more as needed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he DID have it strapped down. I couldn't see it because of that white trailer, but earlier, when we went around a curve, I noticed it. That's because my favorite color is green, and I saw the colored trim. It didn't seem to be flapping then.

      Hick has a bunch of those straps that he carries in the toolbox on SilverRedO. You never know when you might pick up something along the road and need one! Heh, heh, I think he has stopped before to pick up one of those straps!

      Delete