Thursday, April 13, 2023

19 Days Late and $10 Short

Hick has been forgetful lately. I suppose it's a factor of sitting home with nothing to do after his back surgery, and all the days running together. He has missed a couple of appointments, like a six-month eye doctor appointment he thought was the next day, even though he had it in his phone. Then he showed up a day early for a different appointment with the doctor who put the zapper thingy in his back.

A couple months ago, Hick got a letter from a classmate who is organizing their class reunion. He always works with her in the planning, and had some duties in procuring a keychain momento, and some lanyards, and a cake. The reunion is in June. So he still has time for the cake and the lanyards. He already has the keychains. However...

The letter came with an enclosed stamped envelope for mailing in the attendance fee of $10. Hick said not to worry about it, that he would give her the money in person when they had a meeting to discuss the reunion. She lives in the city now, but was coming down for a little committee meeting. Their class is so small, I think half of them are on the committee!

Anyhoo... the meeting was scheduled for the day that Hick had to drive himself to the surgeon's office to see about pain relief for his hips. So they rescheduled the meeting for Thursday of this week. Except it was actually on MONDAY! Hick was in the middle of doing something else, but showed up for the last half of the meeting after she called and asked where he was.

Of course Hick forgot to pay his $10 fee for the reunion.

"Don't worry. She knows I'm coming. I'll get it to her."

"Do you just want me to mail it?"

"Yeah. Go ahead."

I got out the envelope last night, and saw that it's not simply a matter of mailing the fee. There's a 3-page form about current activities and what Hick has been up to for the past several years. Plus a recent photo should be included. The RETURN BY date was March 25th.

Hick says he will fill out his papers tonight, and I can mail it tomorrow. He will text her a picture. We'll see if he remembers...

6 comments:

  1. Do you think the memory problem has something to do with the anesthesia? I am wondering about all the anesthesia HeWho has been subjected to in such a short period of time. I will not mention this to him, as I know it will become his new excuse for everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think that's his problem. He got used to sitting around and napping after the surgery, since he couldn't get out and do things. So the days didn't matter. Then he took off like a rocket the day after his two-week checkup, and was too busy trying to resume his Storage Unit Store stuff. THEN he got the hip pain, and couldn't concentrate on anything but trying to make it stop.

      HeWho also seems to do a lot of napping, like he doesn't take an interest in getting out and doing things like he used to. So remembering current stuff might not be a priority. But that doesn't explain why he asked if you had ever met a relative who used to live with you!

      Delete
  2. Sometimes, anesthesia can cause brain fog and be a precursor of dementia. How old is he?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never mention age here. The brain fog theory doesn't seem to apply, because Hick can rattle off the prices of a bazillion items he's bought and sold, and the resulting profit from each. My eyes glaze over when he shares this with me, which he's done for years now if I show the slightest bit of interest.

      He seems to have a selective memory, and keeping up with appointments is not a priority. Unless it has to do with his back surgery. Hick DID have his reunion papers filled out and on my laptop when I got back from town.

      Delete
  3. I wonder if the "forgetfulness" is his way of saying "I don't really want to go".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, heh! That's likely for the medical appointments. I think the pain, and chaos of the unscheduled surgeon visit and physical therapy mix-up, had him discombobulated about the day of the rescheduled reunion meeting. I don't think he put it in his phone.

      Delete