Monday, April 17, 2023

Goldilocks, Even Steven, and The Pony

The Pony did his own taxes again this year. He used my TurboTax software. In fact, The Pony got started before I did. All he needed was the product code off my TurboTax CD. Living in town, The Pony has internet speed fast enough to download the tax software online. Out here, it would probably take me past the filing deadline. So I use the CD. Today, for example, I had to update my Missouri Lottery app that I use to scan my scratchers, and it took 25 minutes!

Anyhoo... with the filing deadline looming, I called The Pony on Saturday to see if he had submitted his taxes. Because the previous two times I had asked, he said that he "had them done, but didn't hit 'submit' yet." He can sometimes be an absentminded professor. This time, he said they were, indeed, submitted.

"I'm not really worried about it. The refund I'm due from Federal is a dollar and something more than the amount I owe the State. So it's not like I'm gaining anything, or paying out a lot."

I guess that means The Pony's withholding is set up just right. The Pony can entertain Goldilocks, thanks to Even Steven.

8 comments:

  1. Pony is a sweet talker. We hired an accountant a few years ago, and life is happier here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the time I get all my documents together, I figure I might as well type in the info myself, as pay an accountant to do it!

      Delete
  2. We used the accountant, it was only $100 and well worth it to let him handle the headache of HeWho's filing system! With the sale of the park I just new we wold end up paying but the accountant pulled it off and we own nothing, no refund, but that is the least of my worries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I ran or sold a campground, I would definitely use an accountant! We are simple people, and my simple mind can currently handle our taxes.

      My mom used to pay around $250 to her accountant. She had 1/4 interest in a Christmas tree farm. She was always worried that he wouldn't get things done on time. She had to pay quarterly estimated tax.

      Delete
  3. I always paid someone to do my taxes because it just frightens me. I admire anyone who can do it. Tommy finished and is getting back almost a thousand dollars and owes fifty. He is not happy about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a headache when I used to do the paper forms, but with TurboTax it's just a matter of answering questions at each step. Then at the end, all the info is on the forms to review before submitting online. Of course, I DO have to pay for the TurboTax software, but I usually find it on sale on Amazon.

      Tommy sounds like he's coming out pretty good to me! We used to get back federal, and have to pay state. Since I retired and have to pay health insurance premiums, we've been getting a state refund as well.

      Delete
  4. I remember the days when I did my and hubby's taxes, the paper forms kind before internet, I always got decent refunds for both of us. Not getting those cheques in the mail is the only thing I miss about doing taxes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the paper forms were a real chore. Even though it was kind of like a puzzle to make everything fit together before going on to the next form.

      Delete