Monday, April 24, 2023

Backroads Hazards Part 3: The Road Magician

After being turn-robbed by a white sedan on the street beside the post office, I continued through the FIVE-WAY STOP and got on the next street to go to the School-Turn Casey's. This street has a sharp curve to the right, where you can turn onto the street that runs in front of The Pony's house. I wasn't visiting The Pony that day. Just rounding the regular curve.

There were two bright orange signs beside the road. MEN WORKING, and FLAGMAN AHEAD. Okay. I know the drill. Be aware, and ready to stop. Careful not to run over any construction worker toes. Around the curve, I saw a little dozer working beside a house. I couldn't see over the crest of the hill. Nothing was blocked in my view, unless that dozer was going to come onto the road.

With no cars ahead of me, I still crept along. There was a worker standing on the right, where the shoulder would be if that road had a shoulder. He was wearing a bright green vest, and a hardhat, holding a metal rod taller than himself. The kind of metal rod that has a sign at the top, red with STOP on one side, and orange with SLOW on the other side.

Problem was, I couldn't see either side. Worker was holding it so I could only see the edge. There were no streets coming from my left or right, so no cars needing to see the sign. I needed to see the sign! What was I supposed to do? Go SLOW? Or STOP? Or cruise through at the regular speed limit, since I was not being given directions?

That Worker was a real magician, making two signs disappear! It wouldn't surprise me if he also made his job disappear...

I crept along, choosing the SLOW option that I was not offered. When I crested the hill, I saw another worker, holding his sign so that I did indeed see the orange SLOW side. I had a 50-50 chance, after all. I was certainly glad he had oncoming traffic stopped, since there was also a dozer on the other side of the hill that was partially in the roadway.

Not a good Thursday on the road for Val. I feel like I only have six lives left.

6 comments:

  1. You are a fascinating person, Val. If it's not one thing, then it's another. After living and driving in Ireland for a few years, I decided I can drive anywhere. As the mother of Pony and wife of Hick, you can do anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hear me roar! Or... read my roars. I don't think I could drive in another country. Or even on the wrong side of the car like The Pony.

      Delete
  2. Those sign holders are paid well for holding signs, you would think they would do it right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a dangerous job, so you would think they would do it right! If they don't try to control the traffic, they're just waiting to be roadkill in boots.

      Delete
  3. I guess that sign holder was probably having a snooze with his eyes open and didn't notice he wasn't signing properly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He couldn't have made that sign disappear any better if he was actually awake and trying to make it disappear.

      Delete