Sunday, December 25, 2022

Plans Are Made to be Broken

As I type this, it is 4: 17 on Christmas Eve. I am not making preparations to head to the home of my sister the ex-mayor's wife for her annual night of games and tasty finger foods. No. I am sitting at my own kitchen table. Waiting...

Sis is still having her party, but we have elected not to attend. A family member found out yesterday that they have THE VIRUS. Hick doesn't want anything to delay his upcoming back surgery, having just passed his exams to assure he can withstand four hours of anesthesia. I don't want a repeat four days in the hospital, though I assume I am immune after my January bout with the sickness. Genius and Friend don't want to pick up anything that could be spread to an elderly family member they will visit while they're here. The Pony is working late, and agrees that he should not be exposing himself. (Heh, heh, says my 13-year-old self.)

Genius left Pittsburgh a bit later, knowing he did not have to get to the Sis Estate by 6:00. He had worried that he might not be able to make it until later in the week, after watching live views of the Ohio highways. He left around 8:20 a.m. his time, and sent me a picture at 11:22 my time.


"We've made it through Columbus, but we're lucky to hit 25 mph."

They were driving Genius's car, which is a Honda CRV with all-wheel drive. Good thing.


The sedan of Friend would not have been a good match for the driving conditions!

Anyhoo... they are hoping to get to our house by 7:30 or 8:00. We will feast on cold ham sandwiches, chips and dip, deviled eggs, roasted vegetables, and Oreo Cake. Paper plates will be the china of choice tonight.

The Pony just texted that he's off, and will bake some cookies to bring. Hick is driving to town to pick him up, so he can relax with a drink to start his three-day holiday. Even though it's going to be chocolate wine...

Looks like we're going to make a late night of it. MERRY CHRISTMAS to all!

4 comments:

  1. I hope everyone arrives safely and you all have a wonderful time. What is that truck doing up on the snowbank? Was he avoiding an accident? silly questions because of course you don't know, but I hope everything was alright there. Anyway, Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They arrived safely and got here just before 8:00. We had a wonderful time. The Pony was retrieved by Hick and here in time to help me set out the food. We played a game about guessing numbers by using clues of logic, which was terribly confusing to me. I reminded them that if we were at Sis's house, I would be WINNING all the games! At 11:30, Genius and Friend went back to their free hotel (a perk of Friend's business travel) and Hick drove The Pony home.

      Yes, that is a funny place to park a truck, and no, I don't know the reason.

      Delete
  2. Glad they arrived safely. I know what you mean about having such a good time. I see my children very little, so when I get to spend any amout of time with them, my heart just overflows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it seems like old times. Until they have to leave!

      Delete