Thursday, December 15, 2022

If It Weren't For Bad Memory, He'd Have No Memory at All

Hick came home early on Tuesday. He'd been working over at the Double Hovel with Old Buddy, putting some temporary foam insulation up in the ceiling until they can get a roof guy to patch the crease area where two roof angles come together. The roof itself is good, but there's a leak in that "valley" as Hick calls it, where water seeps in. 

Hick left the Double Hovel to eat lunch at the Senior Center. Then he came home and was puttering around. Mainly playing with his phone, until he got a phone call. He had to go out on the front porch to get service. Since his phone did an update, it doesn't work in the house.

Anyhoo... I was sitting at the kitchen table with HIPPIE, my laptop, when Hick came back inside.

"I was talking to one of my storage unit buddies, and he said he was getting ready to take his wife to the doctor. I told him I hoped everything was okay, and that I had to get going. I HAVE A DOCTOR'S APPOINTMENT AT 2:00!"

The time was 1:35. As you may recall, we live in the middle of nowhere.

"Can you make it?"

"I hope so. I'm leaving right now. It's at my regular doctor. To have tests to get approved for my back surgery. I had a reminder in my phone, but I forgot all about it."

Yes. Hick made it to the appointment on time. Once back home, he had a reminder for ME.

"Don't let me forget that I'm playing Santa next Tuesday."

"You need to put a note on the cabinet by the bananas, where you can see it every morning."

"Oh, I put a reminder in my phone."

Yeah. How'd THAT work out for him? I will be putting a note on the cabinet. And reminding Hick myself, since he will probably ignore it.

4 comments:

  1. "You need to put a note on the cabinet by the bananas, where you can see it every morning."
    This may be the most random sentence I've seen in a long time. Seriously though, I completely understand how this happens. I can't remember anything unless I write it down and it where I can't miss seeing it, otherwise I forget where I put my notes. Putting a reminder in my phone would not help me at all. Getting old sucks sometimes but I guess it beats the alternative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every morning, Hick gets a banana out of the glass bowl on the kitchen counter. If there's something I need him to do, I put it by the bananas. For example, mail a letter or bill when he goes to town, since he is in time for the 11:00 pickup, and I go later in the afternoon. A note by the bananas should be a good reminder.

      Delete
  2. Yes, please do the note and the reminding! Santa can't miss that appointment.
    And since you're in touch with Even Steven more than I am, please thank him for me. I won $140 last night in the draw. Not the $30m I'd been hoping for, but better than nothing at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this one is for a daycare, so young kids who shouldn't be disappointed. I will definitely give your thanks to Even Steven. That is a fantastic win! I hope he hangs around for a while. I don't want to monopolize him.

      Delete