Thursday, August 25, 2022

Pittsburgh Genius Picked a Passel of Unpickled Peppers

It's harvest time on the North .40 that is Genius's balcony farm. Got a farm report from him on Wednesday morning.

"It's like everything ripened at once since yesterday morning! This was everything I had to pick today."

 
"These are my current totals:"

 
"Wow! You must be exhausted from the harvest."

"Between 20-30 of each variety were today. I thought I already had picked lots, but I guess not! Although I've probably picked about 70-80% of both the habaneros and cayennes. I think I've picked less than 50% of the tabascos so far."

"That's a lot of peppers for a balcony."

"I'm shocked at how well they've done!"

"Me too."

Let's hope that next year, Genius does not decide to get involved in pork bellies.

6 comments:

  1. I don't think there's room for a pig on that balcony, but if there is there's plenty of food, if pigs like chillies. Unless Genius just buys a smoker and the pork bellies to smoke in it.
    That is a REALLY good harvest so far, it seems the conditions there are just right for growing chillies. And he is up too high for snails and other bugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If Genius had a pig on the balcony, that would be some spicy sausage!

      Genius took really good care of his peppers. It DOES seems like he had optimal light for them to grow, and a fairly pest-free environment. I think he researched the conditions before deciding on his crop. He seemed to know a lot about the sad tomatoes of his neighbor, and didn't choose to grow them himself.

      Delete
  2. Your Genius is a genius gardener!! Those are lovely and look bug free. Tell him to just remember that picking frequently increases his harvest. Plants live for one reason and that is to make more plants, so when you harvest the vessel of the seed, the plant immediately starts to produce more seed. Or, as I explained it to my grands : The plants scream at me and then say to each other, "We need to make more seed!!".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will tell Genius that info. Since he hasn't mentioned it, he may not know. As for bugs, maybe they don't fly up to the third floor of his city apartment! Or maybe they prefer his upstairs neighbor's sad tomato plant.

      Delete
  3. That guy has a green thumb. I wouldn't know much about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those peppers look so pretty. Like they should be on a string of lights draped over a patio where margaritas and Coronas are served.

      Delete