Wednesday, July 6, 2022

The Slug Whisperer

The Pony has his own magnetic powers! He's not a Weirdo Magnet like his mother. He seems to be a Slug Magnet! I'll take my chances with the weirdos, thanks.

I got a text from The Pony on Tuesday at 2:46. I think that's about the time the temperature hit 100.
 
 
"Baby slug on me."

"Where did you get the slug?"

"Transferred from grass, I assume, to my leg, to my finger, then blown back to a lawn."

"So at home?"

"No. While working."

"Better work than home!"

So maybe it's not Pony House being overrun by slugs, but merely The Pony having such magnet powers. Those slugs are lucky they didn't find ME! I would do more to dispatch them than carry one outside on a scrubby sponge, or gently blow one onto a lawn...

8 comments:

  1. I lived in my very old home for over 40 years and saw few slugs outside. I found one in the living room having come up around the fireplace. The place was scary after that. For the next three decades, I watched for slugs, thinking I would have to sell the place if I saw another. I hate slugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's like when we had millipedes coming in under the basement door. They are hard to spot on a brown woven rug, and terrifying when you see them moving! Genius caught one on the tile, and put a glass soup bowl over it. "Mom, I swear it's so big it's moving the bowl!" After intense nagging, Hick put weather-stripping along the bottom of the door. Haven't seen a millipede in over 10 years. But I'm still watchful!

      My mom used to have scorpions that came in around her fireplace! Stung our little poodle on the nose, but he survived with a lot of sneezing and pawing. Somehow my dad got them stopped. But everybody still looked in their shoes before sliding a foot in.

      Delete
  2. But it's such a pretty tiny gold slug, not at all slimy and ugly. Yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baby anythings are cute! Then they grow.

      Delete
  3. I saw some in my woods while weeding, they were much larger! NowI am saving egg shells and crushing them around my flowers. When the slugs crawl over them, the shells cut their bodies before they can reach my plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am definitely Team Plant, not Team Slug.

      Delete
    2. I tried the eggshells one year and dozens of snails sailed right over them to get to my seedlings. The year after that I put out snail bait, the box label said it was safe for birds and cats.

      Delete
    3. I've read that you can set out a flat pan of beer, and the slugs will crawl in and die. Of drunkenness, I suppose! Never tried it. Should be safe for birds and cats, unless they are lushes like the slugs!

      Delete