Tuesday, July 26, 2022

The Pony Is an Oily Hipster (Part 3)

Two days after The Pony hurt his hip falling into the Metris (now not even mentionable) and burned his hand with hot oil while cooking a steak... he was still in pain, but thought the burn looked a little better.

 
"It actually looks a bit better. I'll probably be fine."

"Use your other hand. Carry the mail bag on your other side."

"It's not as easy to swap around as you might think. I could fall over from the unusual distribution, plus I'd have to have the mail right on the wrapping to carry it that way. I'm re-wrapping."

 
"Yeah, that looks way better than what the JANITOR did for you at urgent care."

 
"My day gets worse. My blue water jug popped open when I got in."

 
"Dang. Stay hydrated. Refill it later."

By noon, The Pony was not feeling his oats.

"Not feeling great! Burn keeps getting bumped into things. But someone left me a foil wrapped frozen water bottle."

 
"Some people are gems. Others are turds. You got a gem."

"Oh, yeah. today's manager had a suggestion: if I peel off the skin that's left from the blister it'll scab and harden up faster. OW. Just the thought of that! Honestly, this burn has hurt worse than the broken ankle. Here's what it looked like after work when I took off the bandage:"

 
"And then after I washed it:"

 
"Are you going to put ointment on it, to keep the scab soft so it won't get knocked off painfully?"

"I'm going to avoid even touching it! I'm going to leave it open until bed."

"You might even sleep with it open, then cover it for work tomorrow."

AND... the next morning, Sunday:

"Left it unwrapped overnight, feels drier now, like the blister skin is dying. The flap where it popped open got hard and keeps catching on things."

"Ointment and wrap, at least for work."

When The Pony got home from work, he sent what will be our final picture today:

 
"That sure is looking better. Like it has makeup on!"

"The big difference is the top skin dried out and isn't sweat soaked now. The blistered part is the darker red, and then the darker brown surrounding part looks dirty, but is just the burn."

Sooo.... it looks like The Pony is going to survive his steak dinner from Wednesday night.

6 comments:

  1. The Pony is an excellent wrapper. Looks like he got lucky and will only lose a couple of layers of skin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, maybe he can moonlight as a wrapper, outside that urgent care.

      Delete
  2. Those younguns heal much faster than us older folks. That sure looks painful though. Poor kid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hand is looking more raggedy now, but healing means it has to shed its dead skin like a snake.

      Delete
  3. Burns that hurt a lot are just surface burns, if it doesn't hurt, it is bad, the nerves are cooked. Had a lady once with huge breasts. She was canning peas and beans. She had blanched them and was pouring them through a collander before putting them in ice water. She had the collander between her and the huge pot of boiling water and peas, making her pour towards her body. Pot slipped and she burned the tops of her breasts right down to the nipples. Her Doctor had her coming in for a debridment and bandage change daily, to be done by the nursing staff in the ER. This meant we were to remove all the tissue down to the pink new skin. The day I got her, I could tell that previous visits had not been done properly and a huge yellow scab about an 2" thick covered the area. The instructions from the plastic surgeon were to use a betadine scrub brush with plastic bristles to make sure all the dead and dying skin was off. I attempted. The old lady started crying and so did I as I could just imagine how painful it was. I called the plastic surgeon and he told me to man up and do my job! I told him he was a sadist and to come do it himself! ER doctor overheard the entire conversation and was reprimanding me as I pulled him along to the patient, where I invited him to give it a go. Long story, but she ended up in surgery and I was never formally reprimanded. Burns need good attention. His looks good, but perhaps he should keep some antibiotic ointment on hand. They have some with topical pain killer added to it that would help when he is miserable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NOOOO! Scrub brush, bristles, and burn should never be used in the same paragraph!!! I feel faint!

      The Pony's hand looked good today. A healthy pink, not too noticeable, and soft as his long ago baby-butt skin. I'm pretty sure he has antibiotic ointment, but I didn't know about the pain-killer kind.

      Delete