Monday, May 9, 2022

Thevictorians Have a Mother's Day Feast

Hick planned a Mother's Day feast without telling me. Okay. He told me on Friday. So I could prepare side dishes and buy the meat for his grilling. I'm pretty sure the day was meant to be about me...

I picked up some Kansas City Strip steaks for Hick and The Pony. Some pork steaks for myself. Hick is a really good griller. I made deviled eggs and potato salad, because I know The Pony likes them. And I got an angel food cake and strawberries for dessert. So it wasn't TOO much work besides making the deviled eggs and potato salad and cutting up strawberries.

Here's the result. Yes. We Thevictorians enjoy HUGE portions, much like Fred Flintstone's rack of brontosaurus ribs that tipped over the car fueled courtesy of his two feet.

 
That's Hick's plate. And his hands. His steak looks more done in the photo. The color kind of washed out for some reason. Yes. The rolls WERE cooked! They look raw here.

 
The color turned out better in the picture of The Pony's steak. RARE! That's how he likes it. Also, he brought his own Kerrygold butter, and some herbed butter which he applied to the steak. AND he had his own pan of rolls, to take the leftovers home.

 
The Pony wanted a baked potato to accompany his potato salad. It was so gigantic that it needed its own plate. ONLY butter, salt, and pepper on top.

 
I had the BBQ pork steak (that's HALF of one!) with deviled eggs, potato salad, Vidalia onions, and baby dill pickles. Plus a ramekin of BBQ sauce for extra dipping. I also had two rolls, yet the pan was half empty. When I rhetorically asked, "What happened to all the rolls?" I got an actual answer from Hick: "I only had five of them!"

Let's not forget dessert!

 
The angle makes it look like I had more fake Cool Whip than angel food cake and strawberries, but I assure you, I did not. It's my least favorite of those three foods.

The Pony loaded up leftovers and headed back to Pony House to enjoy an evening of computer-gaming on the night before his day off. Hick went to his recliner to watch a car race. I washed the few real dishes we used, and then took an hour nap.

It's quite a workout eating that much food.

12 comments:

  1. Happy Mother's Day.
    If Pony wants his steak like that (looks perfect to me) he should order it Medium-rare in a steakhouse. Rare is a shade below purple and might have a detectable pulse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I had cards from Genius and The Pony, phone calls from Genius and The Veteran, and some scratchers from The Pony. Along with that feast, it was a great day.

      I will pass that ordering info along to The Pony. He even complimented Hick for his steak-cooking. Sometimes, Hick gets the steak too done for The Pony's liking. Not this time.

      Delete
  2. It all looks absolutely delicicous. Craving cole slaw now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dang it! I had slaw in FRIG II, and forgot to put it out!

      Delete
  3. Strawberry Dessert grabbed me. I am not a big meat eater, like fish. We lived near Illinois, close to the MIssissippi R and bought catfish along the river from fishermen who lived in shacks. Nothing, no nothing, is as good at the catfish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We like our catfish from Catfish Kettle, a local restaurant. I don't know where they get their catfish. Probably farm-raised.

      We have caught them in the smaller lakes at the lake development we belong to, but I'm not that great at cooking fish. They're fun to catch, though! The first one I had to take off the hook by myself made that croaking noise, and scared the dickens out of me!

      Delete
  4. I like the pans of rolls and wish we had the same here, they'd be a handy addition to the freezer. I like my steak rare too, but not as rare as The Pony. If I had a house with a backyard, I'd have a barbecue grill too, to save making so much mess in the kitchen. A steak fried in my tiny kitchen can still be smelled days later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love these Sister Schubert's yeast rolls that come frozen. Medium is the best steak cook for me, but I rarely eat steak. Hick is a great griller. I love the smell of meat on the grill.

      Delete
  5. My older son likes his steaks rare too, he tells me to put one on the BBQ plate, flip it over immediately then serve it right away. He'd probably prefer it to kick back when he sticks a fork in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, heh! Maybe that's why The Pony first tries to drown his steak in butter.

      Delete
  6. Looks yummy! I cooked dinner on Mother's Day. He must have been so tired from riding around in his new red truck! I didn't want to go out to eat, too much effort to get ready!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HeWho probably wanted to take you out so he could show off his new red truck to the Mother's Day crowds.

      Delete