Friday, May 6, 2022

Oh, Deere

Some people take pictures of their kids. Some people take pictures of their plants. Some weirdos even take pictures of pennies on the ground. But Hick... takes pictures of his tractor parts.

 
That's a bad part. Very, very bad part. Not because it fell off the tractor. Hick TOOK it off the tractor. Apparently, it's a manifold from a 1954 Model 40 John Deere tractor. I have trouble making sense of this part. Obviously, it's corroded. It's not the green color a John Deere part should be. Hick says he fixed this part once, with something like LIQUID METAL! I don't know the exact name. But it made me think of LIQUID SKIN, the new bandaid stuff that Hick touts, and wanted to use on my leg-hole. Which I refused.

Anyhoo... this manifold corroded again, making Hick's tractor unusable. Or so he said. He didn't go so far as to suggest getting a THIRD tractor. I forget what is currently wrong with the blue New Holland that was the greatest thing since sliced bread when Hick wanted it to replace his John Deere, which he said he already had a buyer for...

Anyhoo... Hick wanted me to look online for a replacement manifold. I made him stand at my shoulder and tell me exactly what he was looking for. We ordered one, and the gaskets that went with it, and here it is on his tractor:
 
 
I do not see the resemblance between it an the old part. This one is not John Deere green, because we got it from a company that sells generic parts that fit several tractors. Got it in TWO DAYS! No shipping charge, either! The bottom right leg area is supposedly what was corroded away on the old part. I have trouble seeing it, but then again, I'm no tractor mechanic.

Hick is not an internet orderer. We complement each other.

10 comments:

  1. Too bad you didn't check with me, pretty sure Mrs. C has a JD3-001A replacement tractor manifold somewhere in her storage unit. I could have sold it to you for .50 over cost. Of course it is probably hidden under a towel so...nevermind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, heh! I bet she does! If only you could find it with her clever concealment tricks.

      Delete
  2. My dad was John Deere and International Harvester man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hick never met a tractor he didn't like. Though he had occasional bouts of coldness towards the John Deere with the hand clutch.

      Delete
  3. If the gasket don't match, it is of no use. As soon as I saw that shape, ..... OMG the number of times I have designed a Ex Manifold gasket on the drawing board....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good thing I had Hick looking over my shoulder when I ordered. He saw a picture of the gasket set, and thought it was included. Nope. It was on the sidebar, with "items frequently ordered." An extra $8.95, and Hick had everything he needed for the replacement.

      Delete
  4. I don't know anything about engine parts either. I did once offer to pay for my boys to do an educational course in mechanics, but each one declined, which seems fair enough since neither of them drives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Genius has Hick's mechanical aptitude, as does HOS (Hick's Oldest Son). The Veteran does okay with his own repairs. The Pony is clueless. I think he got his mechanical aptitude from ME!

      Delete
  5. I hate it when HeWho expects ME to find parts for him. I have no idea what I am doing! It would be like me sending him out to buy plants for my garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you hate it when it's actually more efficient for HeWho to drive around on parts-finding missions, rather than have you order them online? I don't have a clue on mechanical parts, even when Hick tells me louder and louder what they are, as if volume alone will clarify it for me.

      Delete