Tuesday, May 17, 2022

The Pony is Happy As a Clam

It doesn't take much to please The Pony. He's not materialistic. He's satisfied with his Hick-renovated 100-year-old house. He doesn't need chandeliers or voice-activated appliances. He's content.

You might think that work would be drudgery for The Pony, who would rather be a-bed, playing computer games. The Pony has adapted to work. Sometimes a bit too much, I fear...

Tuesday, I got a text from The Pony at 1:30. I'd been worried about him in the heat, which was an unseasonable 94 degrees. No time to acclimatize for those postal workers.

"Today's going fast. It's hot, but they handed out cooling towels."

"Ooh. Cooling towels are the new heat packs!"

"Yeah, but reusable!"

"Yes!"

"They're very large and a very nice blue."

"COOOOOOL!"

 
Here's the thing. For The Pony to be so excited about a TOWEL given to him by his employer... well, that seems too close to Stockholm Syndrome for my comfort. To be thrilled at such a small gesture, such an insignificant perk, a not-too-costly freebie from his work-life captors.

The Pony is happy as a clam! Happy as a lark! Happy as a pig in s--- SLOP! Happy as a puppy with two p--- Okay. Proper decorum prevents me from sharing further hillbilly similes. But you get my drift. You're pickin' up what I'm layin' down.

That free cooling towel made The Pony's day.

8 comments:

  1. A free cooling towel would have made my day too, back in the shoe factory, where apparently we couldn't have airconditioning because it might affect the leather. We did get ice creams brought around mid-afternoon by the bosses though, so that was a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh! The Pony would probably curl up and sleep on the floor of the post office if he got ice cream! So he would be right there ready to work of they needed him early.

      Delete
  2. too close to Stockholm Syndrome for my comfort. Very funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was just as excited about the hot packs to put in their pockets during winter, and the SHOE COVERS in different sizes for snow. Maybe he suffered some brain damage when he plopped his rumpus down those concrete steps on the loading dock due to the bent handrail.

      Delete
  3. I think it's good that he still gets excited about stuff, he's not yet a jaded adult like so many have become.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jaded adult here, tending to agree with you. If only The Pony got excited about other things as well, not just work swag.

      Delete
  4. I find it endearing! My Jeff is like that. He appreciates the small gestures. He called me last week while driving home from work. He just wanted to tell me that he loved me and that if I ever found myself homeless, I could live with him. I choose to take it at face value and not think of it as a premonition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww. What a sweet offer! Though it must have been a bit startling to hear it...

      Delete