Thursday, April 7, 2022

Val's Weirdo Magnet Held Its Charge!

Even after the Unfortunate HospitVALzation, and the ensuing recovery... my Weirdo Magnet held its charge! I found out on Wednesday, in (and out of) Country Mart.

I was standing in line to check out when a man popped up at my right shoulder.

"Where did you find those?"

"You mean the Diet Mountain Dew? Over at the end of the store, along the wall." 
I motioned to my left.

The Old Lady Checker, horning in on my new sweetie, had to butt in: 
"The soda is on the far wall."

"Oh. It used to be over there in the corner." My New Sweetie motioned to his right. Then off he went to seek his elixirs. He was probably late 50s, with longish hair not quite in a mullet, naturally gray.

As I was loading my groceries in T-Hoe later, I saw him across the drive, parked at the end of a row perpendicular to T-Hoe's row. He put his cart in a corral, and I'll be danged if he didn't START TOWARD ME! 
 
Seriously. I had almost fallen on the way out, on a collapsing left knee, but thankfully was held upright by my cart/walker. I just wanted to toss my stuff in T-Hoe's rear, and sit down. But now My New Sweetie was coming. And my purse was sitting in the child seat. Better safe than sorry. I slid my arm through my purse to hold it while I continued loading groceries.

"Did you get yourself something to eat?"

That was kind of an odd way to put it. And what business was it of HIS, anyway? But I couldn't just ignore him. What was he trying to do, ask me to dinner?

"Yes, I got my groceries."

"Don't you think they're a little high?"

"Yes. They ARE expensive here. But it's easier for me to walk around here than through Walmart."

"I was just over at Save A Lot, and I spent SIXTY DOLLARS!"

"Yeah, everything has gone up. I heard the girls in there the other day, stocking the shelves, talking about how much their prices raised. They said some things cost more than they did at Walmart. They especially mentioned the eggs."

"It's just so expensive. I'm visiting my son, and got some groceries."

"Yeah. I'm sure prices are going to rise for a while."

All this time, I had been loading the groceries. With the last bag, My New Sweetie took his leave. I have no idea what the deal was with him. Such an odd encounter. Then again, I have that naturally built-in magnet...

10 comments:

  1. Oh, my word! I,too, have that magnet. I have heard stories from complete strangers about their recent hysterectomies, haemorrhoidectomies and various other unsavoury afflictions - how do they know I used to be a Registered Nurse?! My daughter has the same effect on people but she is NOT a nurse. I am convinced it's some sort of "aura" that we have. My husband calls us "sh1t magnets"! Not nice but often very true!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, heh! I've been spared such detailed diagnoses! But people used to stop me in Walmart and ask the location of assorted merchandise. It's not like I shopped wearing a blue vest. Hick thinks I give off an authoritative kind of vibe, from all my years of teaching.

      Delete
  2. Mr. New Friend was probably hitting on you. Best guess. There was a glow around you, or something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Asking where the soda is located could have been random, because he saw it in my cart. But leaving his car and walking over to me in the parking lot is suspect. At least he didn't ram his cart into me, like Fonzie teaching Richie how to meet women in the grocery store!

      Delete
  3. I won't suggest he was hitting on you, but perhaps he was thinking you might be an "easy touch" and would get around to asking you for a "spare dollar". As if there even is such a thng as a "spare" dollar these days. Prices here are rising too. Not quite skyrocketing yet, be we notice when there's less in the basket for more than the usual money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be more suspicious if I didn't have the soda in my cart that he was asking about. And if he'd accosted me on the aisle first, and not in front of the checker and another customer.

      Delete
  4. Maybe he was just lonely to talk to someone and was trying to strike up a conversation with you. There were many people who lost spouses or significant others during the worst of the covid. I think he was just looking for conversation and maybe to get to know you better at a later time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe. He seemed like a nice enough guy, for a weirdo following me in the parking lot. I wonder where he's been, since he knew where the soda USED to be in that store. It's been moved for at least two years now.

      Delete
  5. I picked up on his comment about where the soda used to reside. I am never surprised when this happens to me. I guess I just look approachable. Not to mention I married a man who will talk to anyone, whether they choose to participate or not. My very own weirdo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe if I take Hick with me, he will repel OTHER weirdos!

      Delete