Tuesday, April 19, 2022

Pony House Done: Bathroom 2

Bathroom 2 of Pony House was a small room off the back porch.
 
 
Hick built Bathroom 2 from the ground up. Literally. It was down to the bare ground after he tore out the existing floor to put in new floor joists.
 
 
Hick stole the floor from wall boards he took off Bedroom 2. He used it first, then insulation, then OSB board (plywood), then laminate flooring. So there are four layers to the floor of Bathroom 2. Hick started with the shower corner.

 
Not an easy feat, perching himself on the floor boards stolen from the walls of Bedroom 2!

Bathroom 2 is essentially done, thought it needs a bit of fine-tuning.

 
The view from the door of Bedroom 2. Floor is done, toilet has been working since early in the project, so Hick could have an option closer than Casey's if he was feeling a bit indisposed. The jugs are filled with water he brought from home, to put in the toilet tank for flushing, before city water was hooked up. I'm not a fan of Hick's addition of the shelf under the mirror, but The Pony okayed the project.

 
The vanity and medicine cabinet are also done. All that's needed is a bit of caulking, and the trim along the floor. 
______________________________________________________________________
 
Pony House has been an adventure. It was Hick's second "flip" project. HOS (Hick's Oldest Son) helped with renovations of the $5000 house, and purchased it with such labor, and the trade of a 32-foot 2011 Forest River RV. Hick is at his best when he has a project to work on. He has mentioned the possibility of buying another flip house to sell. I'm not so sure...

The Pony has moved into Pony House, and is living the high life in his safe, livable house. 
His rent-to-purchase payments start May 1st!

This concludes our Pony House odyssey, until there are any updates on the exterior improvements. Don't hold your breath! We have depleted the Pony House budget for now.

12 comments:

  1. Very nice! I say that shelf will come in handy.

    Did the Pony house have any insulation before Hick started the flip?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I'm the only anti-shelfite here. Pony House did NOT have insulation. Hick had to add it. Still got some to do in the attic. I'm not sure about the wood walls of Bathroom 2. Hick had mentioned blowing in some insulation, but I'm not sure if that's where. It isn't done yet. But I think the new outer walls where he put up drywall have the regular insulation stuffed in between the 2x4s.

      Delete
    2. Must have been damn cold!

      Delete
    3. That happens in a 100-year-old house! I'm not sure how long it's been since somebody lived there. According to the neighbor, it wasn't too far back, since he said their big dogs ruined the living room floor.

      Delete
  2. I think Hick should have another house soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope Pony knows just how lucky he is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Pony knows, and says he's going to pay back a little extra for rent, to get ahead of his "debt" to us.

      Delete
  4. It's looking fine, a real home now. I like the shelf under the mirror, a place to put your hairbrush and space to stash a couple of extra rolls of paper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure anyone who stays in Bedroom 2 will make use of the shelf in the bathroom. I'm just not a fan of extras. Bare bones for this ol' Val!

      Delete
  5. I don't know if I like the shelf. Isn't there a medicine cabinet over the sink? Sometimes less is more. I have whacked my head and elbows and shoulders from time to time on unnecessary shelves. Could be just me. I am so impressed with the little house Hick built!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there are too many different woods, and the shelf is just another one. Yes, there IS a medicine cabinet over the sink. Hick is good at building without plans. And repairing machinery without a manual.

      Delete