Wednesday, April 6, 2022

I Told You I Was Pretty Sure...

Hick picked up a little something for me at Monday night's auction. He came in the door bearing the gifts, and handed them off to me at the kitchen table. The Pony was loitering by the cutting block, and I immediately offered one to him.

 
"No thanks. I don't want to take your candy," said The Pony, halfway through a large Caramello bar that I had bought for him at Save A Lot.

"Really. I don't mind. I have two! Take one."

"No. You keep them."

The Pony likes SOME kinds of candy in the hearts, but not all of them. He's kind of persnickety. Anyhoo... a couple hours later, I was ready for a snack. I opened one of my Valentine hearts. I didn't see an expiration date on them. I figured it would be past. In fact, it would not have surprised me if it wasn't even THIS YEAR's date. But candy keeps pretty well. We used to load up at the Russel Stover outlet in Lebanon (MO), on our way home from Silver Dollar City, and it was all expired candy.

I took off the lid, having checked out the pictures on the back of what kind of candy was which shape. YIKES!!!

 
I don't know which was weeping more, ME or the candy. When I took the lid off, I thought I caught a slight not-quite-right smell, but it dissipated quickly. Still. I did not want to eat any of that candy. I'M PRETTY SURE HICK IS TRYING TO KILL ME! Sure, he could not have known what that candy looked like inside. It was sealed with cellophane. But what an odd (and happy, for HICK) coincidence! Besides, it only cost him $4.00.

I hollered to The Pony, "Good thing you turned down my gift of the candy that Dad gifted me with! Wait until you get a look at it."

Hick, upon being informed of the reveal at 3:30 a.m., said, "That's why I don't like to buy food at the auction. You don't know how long people have left it sitting in their van."

Am I missing something? Hick buys food at the auction ALL THE TIME!
Something is fishy here.

6 comments:

  1. Did you ever check the expiration date? Something tells me it was not in this decade!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was no date. If this is the way chocolate ages, then I think I'll swear off chocolate! Looks to me like it got cooked.

      Delete
  2. Yummy, as much as I love chocolate I think I would have resisted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I really hated to lose the kind with the orange filling!

      Delete
  3. That definitely is a bad batch. It looks like someone accidentally sat on the box then returned it to get a new not-squished one. But the box didn't look sat on.
    Hick doesn't like to buy food at auctions? Hah! And I don't like Brownies with coffee frosting. Who ya gonna believe? huh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, heh! The box was not smashed in any way. Maybe a kid tried to microwave it!

      Hick went another auction the next night, and saw the guy who sold it. He had me send the pictures. Another guy had also bought the candy, and said his was bad, too. The Seller said he'd make it right. And added that he'd bought a LOT of that candy, and now he couldn't sell it.

      Delete