Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Pony House Half Bath: A Countrified Solution

You may recall that the Pony House Half Bath is tight quarters. It's a long narrow room that Hick stole from the Master Bathroom closet. Hick figured that guests need not traipse through bedrooms to take a pee or wash their hands, since he could fit in another bathroom in the common area.

I was concerned about the door. Hick planned for it to open into the bathroom.

"That could be a problem. What if somebody falls in there? You can't get the paramedics to them if the door slams into their body when you try to open it!"

"It can't open OUT, Val, because the hall is narrow. You can't leave the bathroom door open, it would block the hall."

"Then leave it closed until you go in there. I just don't think the door should open inwards."

Then I had the most scathingly brilliant idea!

"How about putting in a sliding barn door? I see it on those remodel shows all the time."

"I don't think that would look right."

"But it would work! It wouldn't take up the room inside, or block the hall."

So Hick put in a sliding door. I had no idea he was going to use an old closet door that he had, squirreled away over in the BARn.

 
"Well, that looks like crap. You need a different door. Or at least paint that one white, and paint a big black X on it to look like a barn door. And get rid of that door handle."

Then I saw a different style. "Or you could get some of those long arrow-looking things to put on the side. Or the top."

A few days later, Hick brought something over from the BARn. 

"You mean like this? I have a bunch of these."

"That's it! Yes, use those. Two, or maybe three, down the left side of the door."

"I think I'll paint that door a flat white. But I like the wood."

"No, that's not the right pattern on the wood. White will be good. And a different handle. Like a metal loop kind of handle. To pull the door."

 
Yeah. That's gonna work. Pony's cousin Niecy was all discombobulated when he told her his hall bathroom would have a sliding door.

"No! What's going to keep people from looking in the cracks? That's not good. You don't want that. People can see in when you're sitting on the toilet."

So Pony was questioning Hick about the privacy issue. Hick took pictures for Pony, showing that you can't see in the crack when the door is closed. He took a picture in the dim house, with the light on in the Half Bath, and you couldn't see the light through the crack. 
 
THEN Pony took Niecy on a tour of Pony House, and she said, "Oh, that's fine. I thought you meant a LOUVERED door, like a closet door that slides open and accordions when you pull on the handle."

Nevermind.

14 comments:

  1. A picture is worth a thousand words .... I like that you thought of the hardware, it will look good. I have NO doors that swing in here. All pocket doors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pony wants the wood to stay. I still vote for white paint. Once the doorknob is replaced with a metal pull handle, and the drywall and floor finished, I think it will be fine.

      Delete
    2. I vote for either someone painstakingly takes the time to paint the door to make it look like it's a barn door... or get contact paper that will make the door look like it's barn wood... or leave it like it is. I've watched Tiny House Nation, and they have sliding barn doors all the time to save space.

      Delete
    3. I will forward the contact paper idea to Hick and The Pony. NOW Hick is declaring that there's nothing wrong with leaving that doorknob. That is unacceptable! He already mentioned taking it off and filling in the hole. I fear he's grown complacent with The Pony's lackadaisical attitude towards the details. The Pony just wants to GET IN HIS HOUSE.

      Delete
    4. Look at the wall paper at Walmart.com. It sticks like contact paper, but is easily removed if he hates it.

      Delete
    5. I will definitely check that out!

      Delete
  2. It looks odd to me, but as long as it works that's a good solution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is there a door like this in the Taj Mahal? No.

      Is this door safe? Yes.

      Is this door livable? Yes.

      Delete
  3. My friend put in the tiniest bath in the hall. The door does open into the hall and in front of the door to the back porch, but she had a houseful of guests and it worked. A pocket door would be good, too. Can you lock it from the inside. Maybe a hook and eye?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just thinking about the hook and eye last night! I will ask Hick what his plans are for making the door lockable.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. It's going to be a 10x better solution, using the barn wood peel and stick wallpaper that Kathy suggested!

      Delete