Sunday, March 20, 2022

Hick Brings Home the Bacon

Hick went to a new auction Friday night. It's in the middle of nowhere. Farther into nowhere than Backroads. When he got home, he said, "Them people's crazy down there! A $450-$500 deer rifle sold for $900!" I guess that's what the market will bear in the middle of nowhere.

Hick sent me a text before he started home:

"I won 10 lb of bacon for a dollar"

"Congrats."

"I also got some snacks for $7"

"That's why you shouldn't go to the auction when you're hungry."

Indeed. Hick decided at the last minute to go to the auction. He came home from his Friday afternoon fat-chewing session with his cronies at 4:30, grabbed a slice of pizza, and headed out the door, eating it cold. Not a regular rib-sticking triangle piece of pizza, but a square of thin-crust Domino's pizza with ham, mushroom, and onion.

Anyhoo... Hick arrived home with two chocolate Entenmann's cakes, two boxes of chocolate Entenmann's donuts, and a bag of mini Reese's cups. He paid $3 for the cakes, $3 for the donuts, and $3 for the Reese's. The Pony checked the date on the cakes, and they were ONLY three days past the sell-by.

As for the BACON, Hick had 10 packs of 16-oz Oscar Mayer bacon! The price on that at Walmart is $6.98. So Hick got about $70 worth of bacon for $1. It was frozen. The sell-by date was February 27. 

Hick paid his dollar to enter the drawing. The winner could pick any item from any of the sellers, except for the $950 deer rifle. Leave it to Hick to pick the bacon.

 
There's the bacon. Looks pretty good to me. It will probably be okay for a while frozen.

 
There's the cake. Thankfully, I won't have to use a slice to replace a missing piece of the wedding cake of Wallis Simpson and King Edward VIII, bought at another auction for $29,000.

 
There's the donuts. The Pony loves them. I am also overly fond of these chocolaty treats. Apparently Hick is also a fan, because I had one Friday night, The Pony had one Saturday morning, and by Saturday evening, only 3 were left in package of 8. The Pony saw Hick eat a donut Saturday morning before he left for work. I suppose Hick snuck another two while I was in town Saturday afternoon. Lest you have forgotten, Hick is not supposed to have sugar. 

Not that we're complaining, of course. Hick spent his own money on the treats. We're only worried about his health...

8 comments:

  1. Oh yes those donuts are delicious, and nobody can eat just one. But the bacon was the real deal. Leave it to hick to bring his sweetie some sweets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, Hick has not yet declared he is making his own supper of bacon and eggs. I even told him that the top carton of eggs in FRIG II are boiled, so he doesn't have to find out the hard way. You know, to get that idea in his head that he wants some bacon and eggs.

      Delete
  2. Frozen, the bacon will last longer than fruitcake. Those donuts are good, but nothing compares to Krispy Kreme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dang, my fruitcake lasted over a year! Then again, it was not hickory-smoked. So it looks like Hick has a while to eat the bacon.

      Delete
  3. The bacon looks pretty good to me, just shove it straight back into the freezer until you need some. The cake though, Oh my goodness, I almost drooled into my keyboard, it looks so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, all but one pack of the bacon are stuffed in the mini freezer in the laundry room.

      The cake box is deceptive, as is the donut box. They used to have a cellophane "window" so you could see the actual baked goods inside. These are PICTURES PRINTED ON THE BOX! The donuts inside looked the same, though. As I assume the cake will look when we open it.

      Delete
  4. Am I the only one to notice that the bacon is REDUCED SODIUM?!! Showed the picture to HeWho suffers bacon withdrawal and he didn't see it either, as he was so impressed with the price Hick paid. I pointed it out to him, and his entire face lit up. "Does this mean I can have bacon?" Only if I can find the reduced sodium, and Hick seems to have most of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I DID see that it was Low Sodium! Hick probably didn't notice. I cooked a package in the roaster pan, over carrots and potatoes and onions. I tried a bite, and the bacon didn't taste any different to me. HeWho should be THRILLED!

      We still have 9 packs left. Sorry that Hick cornered the market! If you were closer, I'm sure he would sell you some bacon for at least a 50-cent profit.

      Delete