Saturday, May 15, 2021

A PENNY Week Later and a Dollar Short

ANOTHER WEEK WITHOUT A PENNY! 
 
Am I in Even Steven's dog house? Or has he put temptations in my path (again) to test me? That worked out pretty well last time, when I didn't steal NOT-MY-$10 from the lottery machine at Country Mart. Remember that
 
I may not have pennies to show today, but I have two tales to tell! 
 
On Tuesday, May 11, I was over in Sis-Town to gas up T-Hoe. While waiting in line to pay at Casey's, I saw something that made my cold, cold heart go pitty-pat! There was A DOLLAR on the floor in front of the counter. Nobody else seemed to notice.
 
 
I didn't get a very good picture, but there might be more than one bill folded up. Doesn't matter. I didn't take it. No, I've not taken leave of my senses. Do I REALLY NEED a dollar? Nope. Besides, I'm not on a quest to become a Future DOLLARillionaire. And paper money doesn't fit in my ice cream dish penny goblets!
 
No, I left that dollar on the floor. A man had entered before me, with three boys around 6th-grade age. He was lecturing them to BEHAVE, not to beg, and cautioning them that they could each get ONE ITEM, costing no more than five dollars. I suspected this was a dad with his kid and two friends. School had just let out. They were at the self-serve pizza slice area when I left. I'm thinking one of those kids might have found the money. I'm pretty sure it would make a kid happier than it did me. Just getting a photo was good enough for Val!
____________________________________________________________________

Friday, May 14, I was back at the scene of the original NOT-CRIME, that being Country Mart, for bananas, onions, bread, Honey Nut Circle O's (store brand!), pretzels, and Hick's individual ice cream cups. I had just paid, and was walking from the check-out to the first lottery machine. 

OH MY GOSH! My heart started to pitty-pat again! A PENNY had appeared out of nowhere, right in front of the lottery machine, and was rolling in circles of decreasing diameter. A spiral, if you will. I was mesmerized. I slowed my cart, to wait for it to settle. I was waiting to pounce on it like Starvation Study Subject Shirley Feeney on a Ritz Cracker! [at 4:15 if this 5:46 clip] Of course this penny was meant just for ME! Where had it come from?

An old man turned from the courtesy counter to walk along with me to the door.

"Is that your penny? he asked congenially.

"No. Not my penny." DOH! Val, you stupid idiot! That penny was ripe for the harvest! It obviously didn't belong to that old man, because he was asking ME. But I couldn't lie. If only I'd thought to say, "It's about to be!"

I'll be darned if that old man didn't wait for that penny to stop, then BENT OVER AND PICKED IT UP and put it in his pocket!

I guess it was meant for him...

But don't you worry about Val. I got two $3 crossword scratchers out of that machine, and then went across the entrance to the other lottery machine. The newest $10 ticket caught my eye. Without hesitation, I poked a bill in there an selected it. When I got home and scratched my tickets, the crosswords were losers. But the $10 ticket was not.

 
That's a $100 winner, baby! When I uncovered the first zero and saw that it was a big one, I knew it was gonna be good. I didn't notify The Pony, though, because he was AT WORK!
____________________________________________________________________

So... I passed up a dollar and a penny this week, but I won $100.  I'm okay with that.

That's 0 COINS this week, for 0 CENTS
_______________________________________________________

2021 RUNNING TOTAL

Penny       still at 44.
Dime         still at 3.
Nickel       still at 1.
Quarter    still at 2.

2020 TOTALS
Penny     134
Dime        25
Nickel      10
Quarter      1
________________________________________________________

2 comments:

  1. I guess it's worth passing up pennies and dollars when you consistently win on scratchers.
    Me? not so lucky me would have scooped up both penny and dollar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dollar would have been easy to get, but would have caused problems with my penny collection system. I'm not sure I could have beat the old man to the penny!

      Delete