Thursday, May 20, 2021

Talk It to the Lime-It

You know how Hick always seems to fall back-rumpwards into FREE stuff? Some of that is rubbing off on Val. She left the Gas Station Chicken Store on Wednesday with more than a 
44 oz Diet Coke and scratchers!
 
Woman Owner was manning the main register, and Man Owner was womanning the second register. Only one customer was ahead of me, but he was a problem. Nothing in his demeanor. Nor his demands. He was just deliberate and insistent. Something about a draw ticket that was showing nothing. I think it was the long thing you can fill out with your numbers to be scanned and generate an actual ticket for the drawing. 

Woman Owner tried to explain that if wasn't scanning. She tried at least five times while I was there. Trying to explain how sometimes people put too many numbers on the form, and it won't scan. Customer didn't want to hear that, but he was polite. Woman Owner said she could keep scanning it over and over, but was only getting the same result. She was very patient with him, which is NOT her strong point.

Anyhoo... Man Owner said he'd help me at the other register. Thing was, he couldn't get to the terminal to scan my winners because Woman Owner was using it. So we waited. I told him the new scratchers I wanted, so he could tear them off and have them ready. I was trading in $24 worth and taking that amount back in tickets. I also had correct change for my magical elixir. So it was just a matter of waiting for the scan to get the printout to ring up my purchases.

"I'm sorry for your wait."

"That's okay. I don't have anywhere to go."

"It shouldn't be too long..."

"I see these Key Lime KitKats here. I always think I might buy one, to try it, but I like having my correct change ready!" [Just making small talk about the display on the counter.]

"You know what? Sometimes we give free samples!" [He handed me a Key Lime KitKat. 
For FREE!]

"Oh, you don't have to do that! I wasn't hinting at it. I've just wondered what they taste like. Key lime, I guess, heh, heh!"

"You know, I tried to give it to one lady, and she refused it! Then another lady I gave two of something, and the next time she came in, she said, 'THANKS A LOT!' And bought two more."

"Yeah, you're trying to get me hooked on them! But they're probably just a seasonal thing, and will disappear if I like them. Like the mint M&Ms."

Anyhoo... Customer finally gave up on doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result, and bought some scratchers and left. I took my FREE Key Lime KitKat, balanced on top of my 44 oz Diet Coke. Pics or it didn't happen, right ?

 
 
Pretty packaging. Green is my favorite color. And I like lime and mint flavors, often represented by green packaging.


I got a $1.29 value for FREE!

 
So pretty and pastel. Though the taste was a bit waxy. I'd eat it again for FREE! I might even pay for it, but next time I'd have it chilled from FRIG II, and not at room temperature.

Yes, that small-talk worked out pretty well for me. Only won $15 on my scratchers, though!

You can spend all your time losing money
You can spend all your talk making lime
When it all broke to pieces last evening
It was still mine...

So put me in a delay
Slow up the line
Talk it to the LIME-it
One more time

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Heh, heh! I've never had the PIE! But I have tried several other items with its flavoring. And the actual key limes themselves, in a 44 oz Diet Coke.

      Delete
  2. Nice take on the old song at the end there. I've never seen key lime kit kats here, but I'll try one if I ever do.
    Our draw ticket scanners let you know if any games have too many or too few numbers selected. The woman runs the ticket through and a message pops up on her screen to let her know, then we customers get to choose which number to add or delete and she taps that on the screen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know how I love to steal song lyrics! I do recommend the Key Lime KitKat if you have a chance.

      I don't know much about the draw tickets, other than I had to pick up some forms for The Pony to fill out when he was playing them. The instructions are on them, but they're kind of wordy. If I buy a rare draw game ticket, I get the quick pick. No thinking required!

      Delete