Friday, May 21, 2021

What Does It Take To Make You a Believer?

It's no secret that Val believes in karma. And in PENNIES FROM HEAVEN. And in ladybug visits when her deceased mother is wanting her presence know. Go ahead and pooh-pooh Val all you want. Cut eyes at each other, and twirl your crazy finger near your temple. It's okay. I believe what I believe. You don't have to.

Thursday afternoon, The Pony and I had a tiff. A tiff by text. It came out of the blue. We were joking around when he left on an errand, it being his day off from work. Right before I left the house, I read a text from him that really upset me. HE SITS UPON A THRONE OF LIES! Oh, wait. That was the fake Santa in the movie ELF. Anyhoo... by the time I got to the end of the driveway, the tears were flowing. I tried to compose myself by the time I got back to T-Hoe with the mail. No good can come of driving with obscured vision.

Dang it! The minute I pulled onto the blacktop county road, a bug was buzzing my head. Darn fly! Of course it snuck in as I climbed up in T-Hoe. I didn't have the window down, and I closed the door when walking across the road to EmBee. I was about to put the windows down and try to get it out when that bug lit on my left forearm.

IT WAS A LADYBUG!

I haven't seen a ladybug in months and months. Maybe in a year or more. But at this moment when I was having a pity party with my hurt feelings, a ladybug came to my rescue. When I got to the field where the professional dog used to guard the sheep, I pulled off on their gravel road by their gate. I tried to get a picture of the ladybug. It was pacing back and forth on my window. My stupid phone wouldn't focus, no matter how much I tried to zoom in and stay with it. The phone wanted a picture of the field where I saw that little stray pup that turned out to be a coyote!

 
Well. That picture just wouldn't do. I knew it was a ladybug, but it's hard to recognize. I got back on the road, and stopped by the cemetery for my weekly visit. I've missed a week, because there was a funeral last week. As I sat there for my drive-thru chat, the ladybug lit on the window again. I tried to pick it up, to set it on the dashboard for a photo op, but it fell down in the window slot! Welp! That's that!

But wait! It crawled back up, and sat on the window, almost posing. Not pacing. I tilted my phone to shoot down along the window, trying to get that darn camera to stop focusing on the background.




How cool is THAT??? Looks like it's underwater, in a bubble, but it's just the reflection.

 
And another. Like doing pushups mirroring another ladybug!

This really lifted my spirits. A ladybug just for me! I drove on. I didn't notice it again. Maybe it flew out when I mailed my letter to Genius, or when I got out for gas or scratchers.

Oh, at my first stop, I found a PENNY!. And at my second stop, I found a DIME! Some people would find those finds to be quite the coincidences. I, myself, do not.

Everything happens for a reason.

Consider The Pony's misfortune on his way home... that's a story for another day.

9 comments:

  1. Kids, can't killem, have to lovem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't even mad at The Pony. Just hurt by his response to something I "allegedly" said SIX YEARS AGO!

      My second-best old ex-teaching buddy Karen used to say, "Kids. Can't live with 'em, can't eat without 'em."

      Delete
  2. Then you saw a bug...now I'm a believer, some people think you're outa of your mind, but you saw a bug oooh now I'm a believer, it showed up when you cried.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear The Pony made you cry, but kids are like that sometimes. The adorable little darlings grow up to be actual people with minds and thought of their own!
    but then, the ladybug, with great photos and the coins too. All in all, a decent day in spite of the tears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How dare The Pony have a mind and thoughts of his own! I didn't say he could do that...

      He came down to my lair when he returned home, to chat. He doesn't like strife, and rarely goes a whole day before making amends, either directly or indirectly.

      The ladybug and coins definitely brightened my day!

      Delete
  4. Now I'm wondering what it was you said six years ago. I still have heart breaking moments over things my oldest daughter said years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dared to raise a question about a decision The Pony was making, wanting him to consider all options. There's a reason 17-year-olds are not allowed to vote or drink (legally!). Although they are perfectly capable, it seems, to go off to war and kill people.

      Also, The Pony has a history of saying, "I can't believe you let me do that! Why didn't you stop me?" So I wanted to cover the bases in that area as well. Genius, on the other hand, has said a couple of hurtful things, and never looked back.

      No matter how you try to raise them right, kids have to establish their independence in order to make that break, and move on to adulthood. Doesn't make it any less painful for the parents, though.

      Delete