Saturday, August 29, 2020

No-NonCENTS Val Refuses to be Intimidated by a Masked Joy-Sucker

This week, Val is in the ebb phase of her ebb-and-flow community penny harvest. You can't discover a Nuestra Senora De Atocha every week, you know!

MONDAY, August 24, this treat was waiting for me inside the Backroads Casey's.


There was a bit of controversy about its harvest.


I was able to nab it, though. A face-down 1978 penny, exposing his coppery rumpus. For my trouble, I was accosted by the masked manager in the back-room office calling out, "Is there a PROBLEM with the gum rack?"

Nope. It provides perfect cover for waiting pennies until I arrive to scoop them up! I insolently pocketed that copper while meeting her above-mask gaze. Nobody sucks the joy out of a Val penny-find! Once outside, safe in T-Hoe, I sighed with relief that she hadn't run out and squeezed my wrist to make me drop it.
_____________________________________________________________________

FRIDAY, August 28, I stopped by the School-Turn Casey's while out and about with The Pony, picking up pizza for our lupper. That meal which combines lunch and supper. As I stepped out of T-Hoe, I said, "I'd better take my phone, in case I find a penny!"

FOUND IT! Only a few steps down the sidewalk, there it was, right in my path.


It was a filthy specimen, a crusty, face-down 2014. But all pennies are welcome in Val's Future Pennyillionaire Fortune. This one required a sink shower before being allowed to join the collection.
__________________________________________________________________

Only 2 PENNIES, for 2 CENTS this week, but I am happy to have them!
__________________________________________________________________

2020 RUNNING TOTAL

Penny       # 104, 105.
Dime         still at 15.
Nickel       still at 9.
Quarter    still at 1.

2019 TOTALS
Penny     134
Dime        20
Nickel        8
Quarter      5
__________________________________________________________________

6 comments:

  1. That woman will probably keep an eye out for pennies now that she knows you will get them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Not because she WANTS them, but to keep ME from having them!

      Delete
  2. You linked to a Spanish Galleon! I love Galleons and sunken treasure ships. Two of my favourite movies are The Deep, where they find treasure and Fool's Gold, a comedy where they also find treasure, a whole ship load.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Pony used to love collecting coins from a variety of countries. He also had an interest in sunken treasures.

      I remember The Deep. I liked the book better than the movie, because I read it first. You know how you imagine the characters and surroundings. Sometimes a movie will fit your original concept, and sometimes not.

      Delete
    2. I read the book first too and still have my original copy. A little battered around the edges, but I'm reading it again now.

      Delete
    3. I think my paperback is on a bookshelf in the basement, near the bottom of the 13 steps, next to the piano that used to be my grandma's, that came out of my old elementary school.

      Delete