Thursday, May 14, 2020

The Mask of a Man's Fiasco

There I was, admitting to my doctor nurse practitioner that I'd opened up my mask while in the exam room alone. Seriously! Did you expect Val to be like one of those freaks who wears a mask alone in their car while driving? No offense to any of you freaks who might be reading this, of course...

He sat down on his rolly stool, and said, "No you didn't!"

I let him believe that. So he can sleep at night. I noticed that HIS mask was like mine, only green instead of blue. What gives? Did he have a SPECIAL mask, while mine was made by 4-year-old Chinese children, and imported at a price so outrageous that my state is suing China? Before I had a chance to ask, he said

"These aren't bad. Upstairs, I have to wear the N95 mask. I had an elderly couple there yesterday who stayed longer than I expected. They had a lot of questions. I had to stop TWICE, and say, 'Give me a minute,' and [here he inhaled and exhaled loudly a couple times]. It's really hard to get a breath in those masks."

"My husband said that at his factory, nobody could wear them unless they passed a physical that their lungs were okay. And that there were limits on how many hours they could wear the N95s. From OSHA."

"Oh, they tested all of us first. Then they said 'Here. These are just as good.' And gave us these green ones!" He raised his eyebrows. "Wait. There are limits to how long you can wear them?"

"Yeah, supposedly. I don't even like these paper ones. This is the first time I've worn one."

"I don't wear one when I go shopping. I know enough that if I hear someone coughing, I'll go to the next aisle. And if something feels off, I take another route."

"I know not to touch my face. I spent 28 years teaching. It only took a few years to get that."

"Oh, yeah! And you've been exposed to everything already, too."

"Yeah."

"As long as you keep your distance, and don't touch above your shoulders, it's fine."

"I didn't really want to be here today, just for prescriptions."

"This is the safest place you can be! It's the non-infection floor. If' you'd had a temperature, they would have whisked you up to the third floor and put you in a room!"

Again. Not making me feel any more comfortable about that 'whisking' thing. But here's the worst part of the whole doctor nurse practitioner trip! He listened to my lungs, then said,

"How about we skip the bloodwork today, and wait until November for that?"

"Um. Okay. Sure."

I HAD BEEN FASTING SINCE THE NIGHT BEFORE, AND IT WAS NOW 2:00 p.m.!

Oh, well. The clinic lab is on the third floor. I guess it's just as well.

14 comments:

  1. For three years my Doctor wanted me to take a Statin for slightly high cholesterol. I finally agreed to a low dose and after a year I have had no ill effects (some people complain of discomfort) and my BP is at an improved level(related? I think so). Anyway I needed to get my prescription renewed and the nurse said the Doctor would have to see me!
    "Really? After three years I finally decide to take it, now I want a refill and he has to see me? Like I am really going to visit an office that treats Covid-19 after being in lockdown for two months? I think I'll risk the heart issue rather than the thing that will F-up my lungs!"
    They called the pharmacy to renew the prescription.
    Sometimes being old and cranky works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I'd be going for an office visit in Jersey. I am stubborn, but not a fool. Congrats on the success of your crankiness!

      Delete
  2. Fasting until mid afternoon and having to wear a mask! I'm pretty sure I couldn't do both. And by November at least you won't have to wear the mask. We hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was kind of mad about the wasted fasting! It's not like I had an 8:00 appointment and only had to skip breakfast. I don't even mind having the blood sucked out of my arm. Then again, I didn't especially want a phlebotomist breathing on me while she did it.

      Delete
    2. Surely she'd wear a mask? Ours do during flu season.

      Delete
    3. Yes, I imagine she would have worn the "special" green mask that the NP had. But air (and viruses) go through the mask. Otherwise, you wouldn't be able to breathe. It only holds in your own droplets in case you cough or sneeze. And keeps out the droplets of others that might get sprayed on you. Then you walk around with their droplets on your mask.

      Delete
  3. See doctors feel just like we do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. But I wish he'd also gone without eating until 2:00... for NOTHING!

      Delete
  4. Fasting, don't pee until you get a cup, try to get your veins big enough after no drinking. Now we must have a mask to enter a grocery or any type store. We had our gr-daughter's 14th b-day in the family driveway. 6 feet apart. To talk to my neighbor, we yelled to each other across the street.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope everyone enjoyed the party! And that no busybodies reported you for a non-essential gathering!

      Delete
  5. Pretty scary when your P/A believes the someone who told him the green masks are as good. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess they meant the green masks were GOOD ENOUGH for the non-infection floor.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a good medical practitioner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has his moments. I haven't quite bonded with him like with my real doctor, the former army doc who had the nerve to retire!

      Delete