Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Hick Is a Craftly Old Codger

I recently sent Hick on a mission to Walmart, armed with a list on a 3 x 5 note card (nothing ambiguous about my writing) and four phone photos of individual items. This is not the time to discuss the most recent thing he's done wrong, due to Hick's rabble-rousing fan club just dying to sing his praises. But I WILL reveal a Hickaround that might help you with your own shopping excursion.

"I haven't been to Walmart for a long time. Maybe once, since we came back from our birthday visit with The Pony in February. And not at all since they started counting how many people they let in."

"Yeah. I don't think they do that now. But they DO have arrows on the floor, telling you which way you can go down the aisles."

"That's a pain. It would affect how I make my list."

"It's crazy!"

"Did you follow the arrows?"

"Yes. Well. Kind of. Heh, heh. If there was something I wanted at the end of an aisle, no way was I gonna go all the way down the next one, and come back up to it! I just turned my cart around, and backed down that aisle!"

"Heh, heh! So you LOOKED like you were going the right way."

"Uh huh. Nobody said nothin' to me. So I guess it worked."

You gotta hand it to Hick. He IS good at thinking outside the box when it comes to finding solutions to things that thwart him getting his way.

12 comments:

  1. I'm trying to figure out why going in a different direction makes a difference, as long as you don't pass anyone, the rule should just be stay 6 feet away. Maybe even count on common sense.

    Anyway, backing up works for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. joeh; this is so you don't pass someone coming up your way while you are going down an aisle, in case they cough or sneeze on you.

      Delete
    2. Seems like any time I've (rarely) had anyone cough on me, it was someone BEHIND me in a line!

      As Hick would say, maybe we should all wear diapers, in case a monkey jumps out our butt! That's one of his favorite expressions: "And a monkey might jump out my butt, too, but I don't think that's gonna happen."

      Delete
    3. River, I actually did figure that out, and after some thought I still think it is stupid. I understand, I just think it is dumb.

      Delete
  2. Is Hick one who drives against the flow? No, not Hick. I reprimanded (yes, I did) a young big guy who was barreling straight at me, and I mentioned the fact. Looked at me like I was senile. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hick usually SWEAVES, and spends as much time off either side as he does in his lane.

      Young people are so ENTITLED! They are certainly not used to reprimands.

      Delete
  3. Yay Hick! I've done the same thing myself when I knew what I wanted was at or near the end of an aisle, but long before the quarantine rules. Don't do it these days though, I have more than enough time on my hands, don't need to be hurrying through my shopping expeditions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those Walmart aisles are long. You could spend half a day in there on your unhurried shopping expedition! When they first opened, some local people went there to walk laps for exercise. Like mall walkers!

      Delete
  4. My honey and I were on vacation and someone reprimanded him for going the wrong direction at a turtle preserve. The woman snapped, "The signs says ONE Way." Wise guy replied, "I am only going ONE WAY!" Hate to see our guys together. Imagine the mayhem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At a turtle preserve! Heh, heh. Good thing he wasn't also going TOO FAST.

      The two of them together would be anarchy!

      Delete
  5. Soon they will have aisle police and Hick will get a ticket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And they will get an argument. But then probably payment.

      Delete