Sunday, May 24, 2020

A Game of What's-That and House

With The Pony home from college, I have a sometimes-companion in my dark basement. He comes down around 10:00 p.m. to watch assorted DVR-ed shows with me. Mostly cooking competitions. We are currently enjoying Supermarket Stakeout, and Camp Cookout (in Martha Stewart's field).

Most nights, we hear activity upstairs. Tuesday, The Pony had already gone up to bed around midnight:30. He first goes to the kitchen for ice in his water cup. I heard something in his bathroom above my head in my OPC (Old People Chair).

"That's you, right?"

"I'm getting ice, yeah. It's the freezer."

"No. I heard something in your bathroom."

"It's not me! I'm in the kitchen. But I'm going that way."

I heard him walking down the hall by the piano and wall of family photos.

"You're not going to believe this, but I heard it in the bathroom as I came up to the door. And when I reached in to flip the light switch, I heard it MOVE in the bathroom! It's like the noise when you step on a certain part of the floor, like over by the thermostat. Only IN MY BATHROOM! Like something was trying to get away as I reached for the light."

Wednesday night, I heard walking in the front corner of Genius's room, while The Pony was in his own room across the hall. Although The Pony said, "Maybe it was the dogs." Not unless they opened the front door with their paws, and went into Genius's room. The thud of a footstep on carpet is different from the thump of a dog flopping down on the porch boards.

Look what The Pony discovered when he went into his room after our errands on Thursday!


Walked in and exclaimed, "You'll never believe what's on the floor of my room!" That could have been many things, but luckily it was only a PENNY, heads-up, from 1994. That's the year Genius was born. Looks like somebody, or SOMETHING got the wrong room!

Even more mysterious, that penny photo disappeared from my PICTURES file, where I'd saved it the day before, and from my email, where The Pony had sent it! Not in SPAM, not in trash, not in FILES, not in my computer at all, even with a search. So The Pony had to re-send it. It had nothing at all to do with my new used iPhone 8. Only The Pony's phone, and New Delly.

It's almost like the house is re-calibrating, now that The Pony is back.

10 comments:

  1. Finding the penny there is just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an odd find, because The Pony doesn't deal with change. He uses plastic to pay most of the time. He hasn't bought anything since he's been home, as we're footing the bill.

      At his apartment, he'd have a pile of change on the table, which I'd buy from him when we visited. Not sure if it came from food deliveries, or random convenience store items. No pile of change in his room now.

      Hick pocketed what was in The Pony's apartment when he moved him out. Didn't even pay him for it! I guess that was his mover's fee.

      Delete
  2. Recalibrating house? Hmmm, you might be onto something there. Houses do have personalities, so why not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The house, like Hick and me, is getting used to The Pony being here again. It's like he's displacing something that was used to having the space he now occupies.

      Delete
  3. The benefit of a town house is when we hear weird stuff we can assume it was the neighbors and we sleep well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lived in a town house. The lady on the left with the Navy SEAL son was no problem. The three girls on the right stole my parking space on a regular basis. And provided me late-night noises that I was certain were not spooks.

      Delete
  4. I would move. Soon. Or hire an exorcist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, come on! I've only seen ONE headless man in the basement.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I think I have been desensitized. This stuff seems routine.

      Delete