Monday, May 25, 2020

3 Bags Fool

There's some funny business afoot in my lair. I'm sure there's a perfectly logical explanation. I just haven't discovered it yet.

In the kitchen Saturday afternoon, I was distracted by a phone call from Hick, just as I was picking up my lunch and magical elixir to carry downstairs. The Pony volunteered to take them for me. By the time I got down to my office, I was still discombobulated from Hick's jabberwocky.

When I stepped through the portal, I noticed a gray plastic Walmart bag on the floor by my newest rolly chair. The one I don't sit in because the length of the seat makes me unable to lean back without a gap in the lumbar region when my feet are on the floor, or unable to bend my knees over the edge if my back is against the chair back. I DO have a stack of plastic bags on the chair. I recycle them for trash bags.

"Pony! Have you been in my office--oh, wait! You were just there, carrying my stuff."

"Why?"

"There's a Walmart bag on the floor by my chair."

"That was NOT there when I just came out."

"It's okay. You must have created a draft when you walked by. You're faster than me. I guess your wake stirred them up."

That's logical, right? Because I haven't added or removed any bags from the chair lately. None have fallen off. So it must have had something to do with The Pony stirring up a current of air. I pushed the bag out of the way with my shoe toe, and proceeded to my old rolly chair in front of New Delly.

I'd been there a little over 10 minutes when I heard something behind me. A rustling. I turned to see a second gray Walmart bag on the floor! Well. That was a bit curious. There are no heating/cooling vents in my office. Nor outside the doorway. I was sitting still. I doubt the tap-tap-tapping of my fingers on the keyboard created enough breeze to disturb those bags. Huh. Maybe once The Pony's wake had caused one to fall, the others were more precarious. Yeah. I'm sure that was it.

With such a logical explanation, I thought no more of it, other than to tell The Pony while I was upstairs during supper time. He thought it a bit curious, but a bunch of nothing compared to some things that happen around here.

My evening hours in the lair proceeded as normal. I didn't get down there with my own supper until around 8:30. I prepared three blog posts ahead. Watched some YouTube. Read some local news. Bemoaned the dearth of conspiracy videos over the holiday weekend.

Wait! What was THAT? A rustling... over my left shoulder. I turned to see a white plastic bag from Country Mart slowly rolling down some assorted bags on the counter along the wall of my lair. What in the NOT-HEAVEN? As I looked, it stopped. It was kind of wadded-up. It hadn't been sliding. Rather, it was rolling over. Rolling toward the edge. Yet stopped when I saw it.

I have no explanation for that one. Third time's a "DARN!"

14 comments:

  1. Have the Pony set up a video camera down there to capture the supernatural events. Or just call Ghostbusters!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely a spirit messing with you, but I think it is a friendly spirit other wise it would have messed with a fourth bag and ruined a classic Val Blog Title.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, heh! Even the spirits appreciate my titles!

      Delete
  3. Poltergeist. Might as well name him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We watched a scary movie about these kids who went phrogging. They videotaped every activity they did while they were living inside someone's home without their knowledge. Watch out for phrogs. More likely a spirit visitor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh! Not even looking that up! I had another episode while Hick was gone to get The Pony.

      I went into the master bathroom about 4:30 a.m., when I came upstairs, and heard a noise. I turned on the light, and heard it again, farther away, like it was trying to get away from me. THEN I heard it by the shower, as far as it could go. Creepy. Nothing there when I looked. Just a feeling that I wasn't alone, and some floor creaks.

      Delete
  5. I told ya. Exorcism, Exorcism, Exorcism!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't even watch that movie! Read the book when I was in high school, and it scared the bejeebers out of me. Didn't affect my future valedictorianship, though!

      Delete
  6. First: set some mouse traps. Or rat traps.
    Second: why do you have a new rolly chair that doesn't fit you? Did you not sit in one first to make sure of the size?
    Third: don't leave all those bags loose anymore, ball them up and stuff them all inside just one bag then hang it on a hook or something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't have mice or rats. We used to get an occasional field mouse under the basement door, until Hick repaired the weather-stripping. It did not go unnoticed. Dispatched by trap within a 24 hours. A house mouse does more than move bags to get my attention.

      The rolly chair was a Christmas gift several years ago. I give it a try every now and then, I guess thinking my legs might have lengthened.

      I do need to bag up the bags, and give them to Hick for his Storage Unit Store.

      Delete
  7. Can I suggest a firm cushion against the back of the chair to take up some of the seat depth? That way maybe you can use the new rolly chair with your back supported and your feet on the floor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea! It will need to be a tall cushion, because the new rolly chair's back is above shoulder height. Unlike the old rolly's back, which comes to just under my shoulder blades.

      Delete