Monday, May 11, 2020

Rules for Thee, But Not for Me and He

Val just can't stop public-enemying!

Last Thursday, I stopped by the bank to withdraw our weekly cash allowance. I used to get it from the ATM in the back wall of the bank, but when they put in the new machine, it would only give me part of what I wanted. So now I bypass that step, and go directly to one of the three drive-thru lanes. It's not like I can just waltz inside the lobby any more.

Anyhoo... I was excited, because two drive-thru lanes were open, with only one car at each. I got in line, my withdrawal slip ready to go. After only five minutes, it was my turn! I put in the slip requesting my cash, along with a dollar, and a note asking for two rolls of pennies. Gotta have my correct change for 44 oz Diet Cokes!

The teller took five minutes (I guess they were still waiting for a commercial during their soap opera), and then said through the speaker,

"I'm going to need to see your ID."

"Okay. Sometimes I have to send it in, sometimes I don't. I never know, or I would have included it with the withdrawal slip."

Seriously. I've banked here for 20 years. EVERY WEEK I withdraw the same amount of cash from my checking account. I'm sure it shows on screen when they bring up my account on their computer. It's not like I'm some random schemer cruising by out of the blue to scam a wad of cash. But okay. I'll dig out my driver's license and sent it in while the people behind me fume. Good to know that my bank isn't just handing out my money indiscriminately.

OR ARE THEY?

A couple weeks ago, when Hick wanted to reimburse himself with the money he spent on his new used duckbill dovetail trailer, he went to the bank drive-thru, with a withdrawal slip written up in MY penmanship, needing only his signature.

You know what happened, right? Hick sent in the slip, and the teller sent out $1500! Let the record show that Hick drops by the bank once in a blue moon. Maybe twice a year, if that. Yet he had no trouble getting cash from our account!

That's not all! When the teller returned my license and my envelope of cash, I noticed that the canister was missing my two rolls of pennies. And the dollar I'd sent in asking for them. I tried to ask. But you know how it is. Once they're done with you, they're done! I pushed the CALL button.

"Excuse me. I don't see my two rolls of pennies. It's okay if you can't sent them out. But can I at least have my dollar back?"

"Oh! I just forgot! Here. I'll send them right out!"

Well, no she couldn't, until I sent back in the canister for the third time. I'm pretty sure the driver behind me had already performed a ritual to make my future a bit more difficult.

So let's recap. I have to provide my ID to get cash from my account, although I've banked there 20 years, and stop by that branch at least once a week. Hick the stranger can score $1500 when he drops by, without identifying himself. The teller can "forget" to send out change, and keep the dollar, with nobody but the customer (ME) checking on her.

Yeah. VAL is the problem, right?

8 comments:

  1. At least they don't ask for a thumb print when you DEPOSIT money!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They always ask me for I.D. but not the big guy. It's not fair. And they refuse to send rolls of coins at our bank. Of course if my guy asked, they just might!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They used to have a sign saying LIMIT TWO for coin rolls through the tube. So I took a chance.

      I find it hard to believe that Hick is so charming that they hand over money without question! I will withhold judgment on Bill.

      Delete
  3. You are the problem, you have always been the problem...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know the drive-thru is more convenient, but if that happens a lot, I'd be going inside and bellying up to the counter and not moving an inch until everything I wanted was satisfactorily taken care of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would LOVE to go inside! I have more savings bonds to cash in. But the lobby has been closed since Stay-At-Home-Down started 7 weeks ago, and they have not reopened it.

      Delete