Friday, May 3, 2019

Val Nearly Went Bananas

Remember that little old lady who singled me out in Country Mart on Monday? To make sure I knew that Walmart had bananas for 18 cents a pound?


SHE WAS RIGHT! I went there on Tuesday, and saw it with my own unglazed-over eyes!

Of course I had to buy some. A bunch of six. Even though Hick still had three perfectly good bananas from Country Mart in the fruit bowl. For 18 cents a pound, these new ones can rot, I guess! Or Hick can get more creative than just eating one banana every morning. He can be the Bubba Gump of bananas. I already suggested slicing one and dumping on top his mini cup of vanilla ice cream with the strawberry and chocolate swirls.

"You can make your own banana split!"

"I can, can I?"

I don't know why Hick can't be more enthusiastic about these things. Anyhoo... Hick agreed that for 18 cents a pound, I was right to snatch some up.

While waiting in line with my 44 oz Diet Coke (more expensive than 9.4 pounds of bananas!), I saw a lady at the counter buying a single banana. They offer them at The Gas Station Chicken Store, you know. For the high, high price of 69 CENTS PER BANANA!

I resisted the urge to tell that lady that Walmart had bananas for 18 cents a pound. I wouldn't want her to go home and blog about me...

14 comments:

  1. Great price, no wonder the lady had to tell someone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was actually kind of impressed when I saw the display! Not ready to sing it from the rooftops, though.

      Delete
  2. Did you see the news story about the protests in Poland over some museum banning some art over its depictions of bananas? Funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not see that. I'll have to look it up. Of all the things to be offended about!

      Delete
  3. I will have to get myself to Walmart!! Holy Bananas! I have a wonderful banana/blueberry cake recipe that Kamper Kevin loves. If he makes sure to chew it thoroughly he can eat it!! He is able to eat mashed potatoes, too. Plus, I love bananas and HeWho loves banana pudding. The dogs love bananas as well. I am going bananas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they're still on sale! You will probably enjoy making that cake as much as Kevin will enjoy eating it. I can't believe your dogs like bananas. They must be really health-minded, heh, heh.

      Delete
  4. 18 cents. Colour me green. I haven't bought bananas in quite a while because our supply is all cold storage stuff, so they're tasteless and go bad far too quickly. If you leave them to "ripen" the core is woody surrounded with rotten black seeds. When I can walk past the bananas and smell actual banana fragrance I know they're fresh and will buy them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's too bad for your bananas. The Pony likes them slightly green and firm. Hick will eat them in about any condition, until they are mostly brown.

      Delete
  5. My guy gets upset when I buy two bananas for the boys instead of going to the big box store to buy a bunch (10) for much cheaper. We end up feeding the last three to the night prowlers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I consider how many Hick has left, and then rip apart the bunches to get the number I need. I hope that isn't frowned upon...

      Delete
    2. That is almost on a par with "selective" corn shuckers.

      Delete
    3. I cannot be accused of selective shucking. I've been buying my corn in a wrapped package of 5 ears, with the ends cut off, showing kernels in a gap of the shuckable part. Then I take it home, shuck it, wrap it in clear plastic wrap, and leave it in my microwave.

      Delete
  6. That is a super good price for bananas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I noticed that Save A Lot had them for 68 cents a pound the next day.

      Delete