Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Common Courtesy is Taking Its Last Gasp

We know that chivalry is dead. Even if a man might think about being nice, holding the door open for a lady, he's hesitant these days. He doesn't want to be accused of patronizing her. Chastised for helping what he must assume is the weaker sex.

Common courtesy is on life support. It's unconscious, riddled with tubes, but still gasping, perhaps squeezing your hand every now and then. Old folks like us hope that common courtesy might recover, but those young whippersnappers are chanting to pull the plug. That's what my experience has been, within the last year.

One dude making his exit from Casey's ahead of me actually PUSHED THE DOOR CLOSED in my face as he went out, with me just a step behind him. Most of those young people just dart through a scant opening, like Indiana Jones escaping from a tomb. Then it's my own fault if I'm not quick enough to get out.

Friday, at The Gas Station Chicken Store, I was headed inside. I could see someone coming out the glass door. They could see me, too. It was one of those awkward moments. For me, anyway. If I'd been on the inside, I'd have been torn whether to step back and let the other person inside, or barge out to get out of the way. But I was on the outside, you see. So I pulled the door open, and held it, staying behind it, out of the way, so they could exit.

There were three of the coming-out-ers. Guys, mid-to-late twenties. Judging from their attire and the parking lot vehicles, they were a work crew with a utility company, headed for their white company truck.

NOT A SINGLE ONE NODDED OR SAID THANKS!

I don't do a common courtesy good deed for the thanks. I do it because it's the right thing to do. But it would be nice to be acknowledged.

Sheesh! So entitled! Or maybe just awkward with interpersonal communications, having been tied to cell phones for most of their existence. It's a sad day when an old lady holds a door open for three strapping young men, with no acknowledgement whatsoever. At least they didn't drop their chicken and push the door closed before I could go in!

I could imagine Genius, in one of his moods, playing devil's advocate, baiting me: "Why should I hold the door open for some woman? She has two arms, just like me. She's not handicapped. She can open her own door! I'm not her servant!"

Yeah, Genius might say that, although I've raised him better, and unlike The Pony, he cares about helping people. Even The Pony holds doors open for people!

Genius might say that, but he'd hold the door. He's a people-pleaser, as long as the people are not me and Hick.

10 comments:

  1. I try to always hold the door open for others, no matter their gender or age, but lately I've been on the receiving end of this gesture several times. Does that mean I'm getting ancient?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it means that you live among more polite people, or perhaps an older cross section of the population than I do.

      Delete
  2. Like Catalyst, door holding should be based on the situation. If someone has their hands full, you hold the door, if someone is right behind you or coming in, you hold the door. If I hold the door and a young lady is insulted, that is her problem, I do not want to hear my Mom's voice in my head, "Shame on you!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could be the poster dude for common courtesy!

      Delete
  3. I agree with what joeh said. And why should holding the door for a woman mean she is the weaker sex? After all, women sometimes hold doors open for men and I'm betting they have no such thoughts. It's just plain old-fashioned helpfulness and as far as I'm concerned it should be encouraged. it has nothing to do with either sex being weaker than the other. This nonsense all started when some feminist women got offended by every little thing a man did for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people just live to complain. Can you imagine THAT? Heh, heh.

      I've held the door open for a man, and a couple of them practically wrestled the door away from me and motioned ME inside!

      Delete
  4. Your boys should not marry my girls what I world they would create......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might make a good script for a horror movie, though! A dystopian society where it's every man/woman/whatever for themselves. Helping people would be against the law!

      Delete
  5. I hold doors, I grab things on high shelves for those in wheel chairs just because it is the right thing to do, to treat others the way you would like to be treated. If my children or grandchildren behave differently when they are with me, they will get an earful from me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to hang around the door to The Gas Station Chicken Store. Those people have empty ears.

      Delete