Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Things That Go CLANK in the Late Morning

Perhaps I've mentioned that I'm not an early riser. By the time I get up, all the worms have been taken. Not that I want to catch any, or even wrestle them away from an industrious early-bird. I'm in no hurry to get my day started.

Monday, I was up at nearly the crack of dawn: 8:50 a.m. By 10:20, I was willing to stop watching Stripes right in the middle, to take my shower. I was feeling especially bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, out of bed so early. I bagged up the bathroom trash, and even cleaned the toilet.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Hick has been neglecting to put a new light bulb in the ceiling light/fan by the toilet and shower, just so I can't actually SEE what excretions he might have left on or around the toilet. It seems odd that this light has been out at least two months. Hick is well aware. The fan part still works, but not the light. The six big Showgirls-makeup-mirror-suitable bulbs over the sink light most of the bathroom. But when the frosted glass shower doors are closed, it's a little dim in there.

There I was, in the twilight of my shower at 10:30 a.m., going about my personal cleanliness routine, when I heard a CLANK!

"What in the NOT-HEAVEN? I wasn't even moving! I was just breathing in the mist to open up my sinuses. How can something fall? WHAT fell?"

I ran through the possibilities in my mind. I have a tube of conditioner that I rest on top of the very '80s gold metal trim of the sliding shower doors. Hick has a toothbrush, toothpaste, and razor balanced on the end by the wall. Huh. That's it! Sounded like a razor falling off the door frame.

I turned slowly, careful of where I put my feet. Don't want to step on a razor when you take an aspirin every night to keep your blood thin! I got turned around, but didn't see a razor on the floor of the shower. I know the light was dim, but I couldn't find ANYTHING on the floor of the shower. The regular items were still perched atop the door frame.

When I opened the shower doors to get out, I saw the culprit. The toilet brush, a goose-neck-bent kind, had slipped off the edge of the toilet. I had balanced it there to drip dry after the scrubbing. Still, I don't know what made it fall. It was steady when I left it, and had been hanging on there for at least 10 minutes. At the time it fell, I wasn't moving at all in the shower.

Sometimes I hear stuff in the bathroom while I'm along in the house, trying to sleep. Like water will start running, then stop. As if suddenly dripping out of the shower nozzle.

Oh, yeah. Those two lower strings lights on my Christmas tree (still up!)... went off again two Sundays ago. Have stayed off. But another strand lit up really bright, in the middle of the tree, last week. And Saturday night, I heard Hick walking around upstairs over my lair (in the doorway of the bedroom and master bathroom), and about five minutes later he called me.

He was 20 miles away, just leaving an auction.

12 comments:

  1. Two words...Indoor security cameras...OK, three words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You realize that would capture Hick's every indoor move, right? Potentially more terrifying than these unseen phenomena.

      Delete
  2. Well now. Burn a sage smudge stick. Worked for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well tell joeh that would solve the problem but not in the shower, no one wants to see that..... me in the shower scary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not only that, but I'd have to keep the house clean, or there'd be a record of my slovenliness.

      Delete
  4. Your house is spooky, you may need an exorcist. You could start with a sage smudge stick and work up from there. But I think you'll need a stick for every room, just one for the whole house won't do. Who lived in the house before you? Are you sure they're not buried within the walls?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nobody lived here but us. We built the house about 6 months before The Pony was born. Blasted out the rock for the basement, and Hick and his rag-tag group of carpenters did the rest.

      My parents built their own house too, when I was about 12. It had footsteps in the master bedroom, day and night. So much that my dad would be home for lunch, all alone in the house, and go upstairs looking for a burglar. Probably coincidental, but that house was less than a quarter mile from a cemetery, which had the same name as OUR SURNAME! No relation that we knew of. It would be like me living next to Thevictorian Cemetery.

      Delete
  5. We have a haint in ourr bathroom. I can be in there, having never touched the door or vibrated the floor, and a hanging towel is tossed off the door.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as they're heard and not seen, and only move stuff, I can deal with it. That headless man who appeared in my basement... not so much.

      Delete
  6. Oddly enough almost every house I've ever lived in has been home to many families before ours, yet none have had any sort of spookiness. Perhaps the ghosts took one look at us and skedaddled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had any issues in other places I've lived, but one school where I worked was pretty active with these phenomena.

      Delete