Monday, May 13, 2019

When You Care Enough to Spend the Very Least

I cried (shenanigans) because I got a $3 change purse, and then I met a Val (in the mirror) who didn't get one.

Perhaps you remember my tale of a previous Mother's Day, when I bemoaned the fact that I received a $3 pink change purse, and two boxes of Sno-Caps. Not that I was expecting diamonds, or a new car, or even shoe inserts from The Good Feet Store. No, I don't care all that much about the gifts. It's just that Hick rakes in the swag on Father's Day. Three or four gifts, things he collects, like beer or car memorabilia, and usually some kind of tool as well.

Hick might not want to get his hopes up this year.

I got a card from Hick. Both boys say they've got one in the mail. I got a call from Genius, The Pony, and The Veteran. I got a text from HOS, who I talked to for 40 minutes on Friday. So I'm not a gift-seeker. It's just that ONE OF US seems to put more effort into such a holiday than the other.


Oh, I also got this. Frozen custard. Chocolate, with caramel and that hard shell chocolate stuff. Hick had a brownie special something. I don't think it has the diabetic seal of approval. You might notice that Hick dressed up for the occasion, wearing his funeral home suitable John Deere sweatshirt.

Yes, I got frozen custard for Mother's Day. It cost more than $3. Not that I'm counting...

10 comments:

  1. Yes my girls are much more ready to spoil the father over me, probably because I am so mean to him and they feel bad for him, when they really should be feeling bad for me.... just saying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't even use that logic, because the boys don't spoil Hick. I'm the driving force behind orchestrating his gifts. I agree that your girls should feel bad for YOU, and compensate you accordingly!

      Delete
  2. Mrs C got a free lunch and a pedicure from her daughter. Of course she had to drive an hour into the city and then an hour to get home. I think she'd have rather stayed home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She needed a pedicurist who makes house calls, and she could have spent her pedicure time on the phone, chatting with her daughter. At least I didn't have to work that hard for my frozen custard!

      Delete
  3. From one daughter I got a card with cash inside, which is what I usually give her on her birthday, from the other daughter I got nothing, she probably visited her daughter instead, which is okay with me, I got a text message from the son I rarely hear from or see, so I was happy about that and nothing from the other son who is out of work and broke and no credit left on his phone. I think you did better with that delicious frozen custard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cash is always good! Even a scratch-off ticket would have pleased me. I just think Hick didn't put any effort into it, compared to what I do for him. As long as I hear from the boys, it's fine. Though you would think that just ONCE, they could plan ahead and have their cards arrive on time. Hick says he'd been reminding them since Monday.

      Delete
  4. Frozen custard looks good! HeWho presented me with Gladiolus bulbs. He was so proud, thinking he finally got it right … the difference between annual and perennial. He didn't, the bulbs have to be dug up and stored inside. I guess it proves that it really is the thought that counts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed that frozen custard immensely! So... HeWho is not the brightest about bulbs? At least he DID think of getting you something that would please you.

      Delete
  5. That froazen custard is a good score! My kids darted in and out and presented me with night gowns (which I love) but time wise, neh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sent The Pony a picture of the custard. Just because. At least both boys talked to me for about 45 minutes on the phone. I'm sure it was killing them. Genius probably had some version of an hourglass online, and held the phone away to sigh heavily every time he had to move the cursor to flip it over...

      Delete