Thursday, May 9, 2019

Hick House Basement 05-08-19, Re-Visited

Of course Hick sent me more pictures of the Hick House basement right after my pictorial of it had published. That's how he does things. Rather than stop the presses after the fact, and try to edit that tale, I made things easier on myself. I also made things easier on you, by letting you out of the basement for a day. Well. Not really. I merely transferred you from the Hick House basement to my own basement lair. Hope you don't grow moss from your subterranean sojourn.

Today you're back at Hick House.

Good luck with these images. I sincerely thought I had the basement layout mastered. According to Hick, I did not. It doesn't help that he changes his descriptions from day to day.

This is that opening he described, to get into the room with the black cast iron old sewer pipes. Silly me. I'd thought it was at the corner of the main basement area, but apparently, it's in a separate room that would be accessed through this hole. It's still under the old bathroom. At the back of the house, on the uphill side. Here are some of the new sewer pipes that HOS has run from the new bathroom. If you stand in the basement door upon entering, this would be the wall on your left, that runs across the back of the house.

Sorry if that's confusing. My mind is still swirling from Hick giving me three detailed explanations, walking me through the landmarks, while I was on our own back deck, shucking corn. It didn't help that each description was different than the one before, and that Hick kept referring to NORTH SIDE.

I asked Hick about those jars on the ledge, and he said they're gallon jugs.

"They were in the house already. They're really old."

"How old?"

"I'd say they're from the late 80s or early 90s."

"Um. That's barely 30 years. I don't really consider them old."

This is a little door that has nothing to do with anything. It's in the front wall of the basement, as Hick calls it. The wall on your right as you're standing in the basement door. It leads to a crawlspace under the front part of the house. Like the area under the living room and master bedroom.

This is the back wall of the basement, after you've stepped through the door, and turned to face left. You can see the door, and the new electric box that Hick has now put a door on. Also, he's gotten rid of the old electric box. This picture also shows a lot of junk that was originally in the basement, that Hick told HOS (Hick's Oldest Son) to get rid of. In Hick's words, HOS has been fiddle-fartin' around doing pieces of other projects, and not following Hick's commands. Hick is a little testy (heh, heh, I said TESTY). He says there is about half a dumpster full of junk that he had to step over and around while putting in the electric.

That's the thing. When you're the one who spent the $5000 to get the house, you think you're the boss of the project! Hick thinks HOS should have shoveled up that junk and gotten it out of the basement, rather than just clearing it into piles. Hick is the foreman of this job site, and HOS is the laborer!

8 comments:

  1. That is a basement with creepy potential.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does look a bit creepy down there. I agree with Hick, that junk should have been out of there by now. I don't think 30 can be considered old for bottles and jars. Old is what we saw when I was living across town and the landlord had the house next door demolished and after the floor boards were ripped up we saw all kinds of really old stuff under that house. Ancient bottles with thick glass with that "wavy" look to it, stuff like that. We couldn't take any of it, the ground was several feet below where the floorboards had been. anyway, the landlord built a huge new modern style house on the block, moved in, then took over half the block of the house we were in (he also owned that) and used it for his giant fruit and veggie growing patch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad used to go digging for bottles along the road by our property where he built our house. He found a lot of good ones down in the decayed leaves, unbroken. Some had that wavy glass. Too bad you couldn't get any of the ones you saw.

      Delete
  3. This reminds me of the basement in the first house we bought. Friday the 13th movies were filmed in that basement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes! This is definitely not a basement I would upgrade for living space. Those little doors are too creepy. It's good to have during tornado season, though. And to store tools.

      Delete
  4. Basement ….. more like a root cellar. Maybe the previous tenants stored their moonshine in those jars?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You never know! It was just one guy, a bachelor. Who knows what he did in that basement, with nobody to tell tales.

      Delete