Sunday, April 26, 2020

Every Hick Sure Tells a Story, Don't He?

Sometimes, Hick is more entertaining than the TV shows he watches. Thursday night, he took me on a journey as sweavy as a trip in A-Cad with himself behind the wheel.

"The other night, I was watching that Alaska police show. Some lady found a bobcat that had been attacked by a porkypine. They pulled out the...uh...the porkies, and--"

"You mean the quills? They pulled out the quills?"

"Yeah, whatever. They pulled them out, and got the bobcat healthy again. They was lettin' it out of its cage to go back to the wild. It could hardly walk. It staggered all around, and tried to BITE them! They said a bobcat will act that way if it has rabies. So the trooper shot it."

"Wait! They took care of it all that time, to let it go, then he SHOT it?"

"Yeah. He killed it. They shipped it off to test for rabies, and it had it. The rabies."

"Well. That's a nice story."

"What I was tryin' to tell you was...the other day, down on the sharp curve where that lady ran off in the purple car in the snow, and we drove her home to the cabin where the headless body was found in the septic tank...I saw a cat run across the gravel road there. It hardly had a tail. Just a stub. I think it was a bobcat."

"Oh. Okay."

That's actually pretty believable for a Hick story. And not at all a strange happening for the Backroads area.

10 comments:

  1. Wow! Just last week someones car alarm went off and would not shut off for 15 minutes...bet you thought Jersey was boring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is too much excitement for me! I'd need a dirty-water cocktail to calm me down.

      Delete
  2. Whoa. Living in a city area, bobcats are out in the countryside. My hometown area sees them frequently and they FB post them.

    Also posting some morel mushrooms! Wish I could have some of those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hick has buddies who hunt mushrooms. I think they wear camouflage while they do it. I'd be worried about frying up a poison toadstool.

      Supposedly a black bear has been seen here in the northern half of our county. I don't know about that, but I saw a panther cross the road about 15 miles outside of Steelville, Missouri, twenty years ago.

      Delete
  3. A bobcat was sighted here just this morning! I suggested we trap it, but my kamper didn't want to do that, he said it wasn't hurting nobody …. Okay, I said, but when he decides to eat one of my dogs, that sucker will be dead! And now that Hick has mentioned rabies, all bets are off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HOS (Hick's Oldest Son) trapped some kind of cattish creature up on our other 10 acres last year. He showed me the video of it. I couldn't see it very well in the dark, but it was definitely NOT happy in that cage.

      Delete
  4. I think the point of Hick's story is avoid the bobcat because it might or probably does, have rabies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't have to warn me twice to avoid a bobcat! I'll even take Hick's advice on this one!

      Delete
  5. Headless body? Was that the singer, Walter Scott?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it was a tattoo artist who ran afoul of a biker gang meth ring for not paying his debts with enough money or tattoos. They beat him with a baseball bat elsewhere, and brought his body to the septic tank one night. The head was found later, wrapped in duct tape. Not sure if it was on the same property, which had been for sale at the time of the body-stashing.

      Delete