Thursday, April 2, 2020

You Can't Send a Hick to Do a Val's Job

Hick and I don't run errands together. That never ends well. But Tuesday, we gave it a try, before the home-confinement goes into effect on Friday. Before the entire county shows up at Walmart for apocalyptic supplies of toilet paper on the 1st.

Since I was driving, Hick was the go-fer. At the main post office, I handed him money, and gave him instructions. Kind of like pinning lunch money to a little kid's shirt.

"Here is $11. Ask for a book of flag stamps. It will cost exactly $11. Get the stamps first. Put them in your shirt pocket. Then get the boxes for the boys' Easter package. Two boxes. They're flat. Unfolded. The LARGE Flat Rate boxes. They're on shelves across from the counter. Under the windows. They're white. You know. The ones we always use for the boys' packages. And get some labels. They'll be right there by the boxes."

"Them boxes won't cost me nothin'?"

"No. They're free. Because you pay so much to mail them, heh, heh. They WANT you to take them and use them."

Off he went. My little Hick. Eager to accomplish his mission. When he returned, I saw the stamps in his pocket. Good job, buddy! But then I noticed the boxes he was putting on the back seat.

"Wait a minute! WHAT are THOSE? They're BROWN! Those are NOT Flat Rate boxes."

"What do you mean. They was the only boxes I saw."

"I don't think so. Maybe they have two sets of shelves. I've never seen those boxes. Look. They don't say Flat Rate on them. These will cost by weight. Easter candy is heavy!"

"That's all they had! Here's the labels."

"Those aren't the labels we use! Can't you remember?"

"No."

"You've helped me tape them! You've taken them for mailing! Look. These labels say Priority Mail EXPRESS! That will cost a fortune! I'm not even sure those boxes are free..."

"Huh. Maybe I should have paid for those boxes. They seen me, though. They seen me walk out with them, and didn't stop me."

Heh, heh! Hick might beat me to being the next Public Enemy. On the way home, I stopped by the dead-mouse-smelling post office. To prove to Hick which boxes he should have gotten. Imagine my surprise when Hick remained in T-Hoe. At least he acknowledged that the boxes I returned with, as well as the labels, were different.


Not the same color, not the same size, different labels.

Hick says he'll use these boxes for something else. I'm sure he will.


The labels we use.


The labels we don't.

Hick does not seem to be very observant. Don't ask him for a description of a purse-snatcher. When we went in Walmart, I gave him a list with items in order of his route through the store. I made him take pictures of three items before we left home, so he'd get the right ones. He did with 2 out of 3.

He's learning.

12 comments:

  1. This would be like sending Hubs to get something, totally unobservant that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They will pretty much do it their own way, IF they do it at all.

      Delete
  2. You have got to be kidding! I started to zone out just reading. By the time I got to "put the stamps in the front pocket" I was counting ceiling tiles. I give Hick credit for bringing any boxes and extra credit for the labels.

    I'm on your side Hick, you da MAN!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I break out in a cold sweat when I imagine a world run by the two of you!

      Delete
  3. You can;t send a man to do it your way. I had to show my man how to stuff the bike int he shed so there would be more room. "Wow, you know your stuff," he said. Well yes I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Around here, (we) just build another shed!

      Delete
  4. I save the labels or the empty containers to show my neighbour who sometimes gets things for me at the shop if I can't go for any reason and I even tell him which aisle and which shelf and whether it is near the end of an aisle or closer to the middle. Then of course the aisle has shelves on both sides, so I tell him if he uses the front of the store for a guide it is on "this" side, either left or right depending. This system works very well, until some rep from some company or other gets in there and rearranges all the brands related to that company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is why I make Hick take a picture of an item I expect him to get in the store. He might lose a label, but he always has his phone.

      Delete
  5. My friend's phone is more old-fashioned and doesn't take or receive photos. He is too easily confused with more modern technology.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then the labels should work for your friend.

      Hick hates to read, even a label. No instruction manuals, no directions on foods or medicines. He is only willing to look at the numbers on our (rapidly dropping) investment statements.

      Delete
  6. Training them is just so hard! I text pictures of what I want to HeWho and find that to be a lot easier for him ….. and me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that my hand-me-down Genius phone has kicked the bucket, I can't even do THAT!

      Delete